Chapter 21 ❧ A Grand Exit

Guys, guys, I'm so grateful right now

Guys, guys, I'm so grateful right now. 3k reads and 288 votes. Thank you for all the support ;-;

•●•●•●•●•

I rush down the staircase before Adrien could reach the last step. Shoving a jar full of my precious sugar cookies to his chest, I launch into a simple excuse. "Hey, can you bring this to class for me?"

"I don't mind but why? I was just about to leave," he replies, puzzled.

"I wanted to pass it to Rose and Juleka before class starts but I don't think I can. You're arriving at school earlier than I will today, so see ya later!" Without waiting for his next response, I turn my back and climb up the stairs.

"Wait, can I take a couple out too?"

I grimace as I ponder his request. I was planning to savour the sickly sweet delights once I take them back and I'm hardly one to compromise when it comes to my addictions. I return to him and take one cookie out of the jar for myself. "Just take two, all right?"

Adrien's bodyguard, losing patience, voluntarily escorts him out of the premises. Spying at them through a window, I amble back down the stairs.

I turn to Gabriel's office and knock on the door. From years of observations, I know that Gabriel has two offices, one for his whats-its like paperwork while the other is at the third floor with a huge touchscreen monitor with all his designs. He lurks in the latter office for the majority of the day while Nathalie declutters the former.

"Come in," Nathalie's voice answer from behind the door. I pop my head in, feigning an expression of indecision. "Uhm, hey Nat?"

"Something bothering you again, Selene?" Nathalie asks without looking up from her current work- sorting files.

I purse my lips, looking hurt. "Not me this time- well yes, but no. How come Adrien gets to eat sugar cookies but I don't?"

This gets her attention as she meets my eyes with a raised eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

I present to her the cookie, waving it in the air as her eyes follow. "That's not fair. I though you said we should keep to a strict diet?"

"Adrien is eating those?" A horrified look morphs her face.

"Yeah? He has a whole jar with him and he's just about to leave for school."

My lie creates a surprisingly enormous impact on Nathalie as she moves me aside and bolts out the door. Dear, Nat, I'm truly sorry. Gabriel might destroy you later, but it's for the greater good of Paris!

Grimm leaps out from my pocket and we exchange a nod. I turn to the countless drawer to painstakingly open each and every one. Grimm inspects every creek and corner of the office to reveal any hidden compartments...like the movies.