Chapter 20 ❧ Special Sweetheart

Fly me to the Moon cover by annapantsu!

•●•●•●•●•

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
And let me see what spring is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars

•●•●•●•●•

"Luka, I think it's about to rain. We should head back," I say as Luka pulls me up the stairs by the hand.

"You're kidding right? There's not a cloud in sight- except for that cloud over your head." He tugs onto my arm. "Come on, or else I'll have to carry you."

We're climbing up the Eiffel Tower towards the top and I felt skittish throughout the journey. We just have the last flight of stairs to overcome but my agitation reached auto-pilot. I stay rooted to the spots stubbornly. His lips curls into a slow, teasing smile. "Would you like to be carried bridal style or on my back."

"I prefer over the shoulder," I deadpan. I jerk in surprise when he pokes me on the waist. "Hey!"

Without warning he slides his hands onto my back and behind my knees then scoops me up as if I weighed nothing. "Bridal style it is."

"OH MY GOD, Luka, put me down!" I begin flailing like a child, beating his chest in panic.

"Okay! Okay! If you keep moving like that, I might just drop you."

I blanch obediently- suddenly aware of the howling gales all the way up here. The temperature is already so cool at the top but my hands and forehead continue to break in nervous sweat. "You can't kill me. I have insurance."

"Oh, wow, I've never felt so intimidated my entire life." To my relief, he gently puts be back on to my feet, but he takes my hand and refuses to let me escape. "If you're really scared just squeeze my hand."

"My hands are sweaty," I object.

He throws me a confused look. "Does that matter?"

The vibrant smile he gives me next renders me speechless for a good half a second. Pursing my lips, I say, "Wow you're good at this."

"Good at what?"

Good at being a heartthrob. "Good at playing innocent while secretly plotting to kill me."

"I know. I'm a natural," he replies smoothly. Our fingers interlock like a perfect puzzle. His palm felt calloused from frequently playing guitar but it encased mine carefully."We're here!"

I didn't even realise we've already climbed the last flight of stairs. When my eyes merely glanced on to the ground below, shivers run down my spine. I snap my head up towards the ceiling instead. "Ah, screw this."

I feel his hand squeeze my own. "Sel, look over there." He has the audacity to point below. "I can see your house from up here."

"Classic, but I'm not falling for that."

"There's a poster over there- it says Doctor Who finale on it," he points to another area.

"Where?" I don't remember Doctor Who having a series finale! I thought the 13th Doctor was getting interesting. I realise that I've been scanning the ground with all the tiny structures like finding a needle in a haystack- only just from a million feet into the air. I seal my eyes in horror. "Damn it, Luka! Why did I even agree to let you take me here?!"

"Because I said you have to face your fears. There's your fear! Go and face it!" I throw Luka a disgusted look.

"So you have chosen death," I say. His eyes widen, sensing my incoming wrath and throwimg his hands up. I charge at him like a tiger but he swiftly cages me in a tight embrace. His movements and reaction were so seamless that I felt pathetic for even trying.