Chapter 11 ❧ Sly Fox

Early in the morning before the bell rang, I gave Adrien his bag of cookies. He said his typical thank you and smiled gratefully. I was admittedly disappointed by his underwhelming reaction but didn't dwell on it. Instead I distributed more of the cookies among my friends.

"I love them Selene!" Rose says, already munching on her second one.

"Wow thanks. Free snacks." Juleka inspects the cookies. "I've never seen anything like it."

"They're stained glass cookies. I made them with Marinette."

Rose tilts her head curiously. "You're growing really close with Marinette. You're both so bubbly, sweet, honest and incredible bakers!"

"Ha! That's the first time someone complimented my baking-"

Chloe approaches me with arms folded and no preamble. "So where's mine?"

"Excuse me?" I say.

"You're giving out cookies to them- Adrien, Nino and Alya have them too."

I grit my teeth, wanting to snap at her, but Adrien's bright voice emerges from behind me. "Don't get mad, Chloe. I'm sure Selene baked some for you."

Not really- I didn't. Instead of objecting, I'm left speechless. I look down at the last bag I have meant for Luka. Rose and Juleka watched the scene unfold but neither of them detected the tension. Concealing my inner turmoil, I keep my voice steady and soft. "Yeah, I guess... I have some for you."

Four pairs of eyes pierce me with expectant looks. They predict that I'd react kindly based on the good-natured image I put so much effort to build up.

Chloe eyes the bag disdainfully and pushes it back to me. "No, thanks. I don't take handouts." She abruptly turns and leave us in the dust. My mouth hangs open in shock. What an arrogant, good-for-nothing, little-

"Maybe she's the savoury type." Adrien shrugs innocently.

I smile and say, "Oh well." Thank God she changed her mind, but her cocky attitude still pissed me off.

From the distance I spot Marinette watching our interaction- barely hiding her gloomy expression. To my shock, just beside her is Luka. I excuse myself and run up to them. "Hey, guys! Do you know each other?"

Luka greets me but Marinette says, "Yeah, we've talked briefly before. I-I'll head to class. See you later." She practically runs away from me.

"Did something happen?" Luka asks, confused.

"I'm not sure," I lie.

He looks at me warily, seeing through me like glass. But he changes the topic due to his kindness rather than ignorance. He knows if it's too personal. "What's that?"

He points to the cookies. My lips instantly curl into an excited smile and I extend the cookies to him. "It's your first day today so, I hope you'll have a great time at Françoise Dupont."

"Oh uhm..." Luka stares at them.

"What? You don't want any?" I ask, pouting.

"It's just that.." he trails off. What? What the hell is that reaction?! I try to  his expression but it remains unreadable. He takes the cookies eventually. "Nevermind."

"How rude," I retort, but he laughs. The sound creates a fluttering sensation in my stomach. "If a guy receives gifts from a girl, he must thank her."

"If a guy receives gifts from a girl, he'd judge her intentions." He reaches out towards me and I almost take a step back. I feel a tickle on my ear as he gently pushes a lock of my hair behind it. Feeling strangely flustered, I look up at him and he gives me a cheeky grin. That huge flirt!