Chapter 17 ❧ Wipe Your Tears

So I lost my first draft and that sucks so I guess I can make this chapter better than my deceased draft.

•●•●•●•●•

I ignore the voices of my class calling me back and instead let my feet take me somewhere far far away. Just my luck, as I run out of school, I pass by the canteen packed with seniors having their lunch. Their glances may be brief but they sting me with a foreign sense of insecurity. I've never allowed myself to feel like this until now.

I desperately block them out but their phones blast noises that bring me back.

"This just in, Ladybug and Chat Noir have successfully apprehended a super villain terrorizing Paris. We were unable to get an interview as the duo already left before we arrived at the scene."

It's yet another reminder of who I'm up against and what choices I have to take for others and for myself.

I end up exiting through the back of the school with a bench at the side. Running my fingers through my hair, I settle on a bench. I pull my feet up, not caring about my shoes soiling the seat.

Tears begin welling up and trickling down my face as a whirlwind of  thoughts fill my head.

Why did I do that? I shouldn't have slapped her in front of everyone!

How could I not? She was defaming my family who sacrificed their lives for me!

Now everyone will know who I really am- that I'm not a happy girl I seem to be.

Better honest than be a lying jerk!

It feels like two sets of myself are fighting each other like tigers for prey. I can barely wrap my head around what I just did. Half of me feels utter regret while the other half feels angry but relieved.

"Selene? Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you," I tense up when I hear Lila's ear-grating voice.

"Don't act kind," I say hoarsely- not quite ready to jump into another argument. I keep my eyes on the ground as she approaches me.

When she's about to place her delicate hands on my shoulder, from out of the blue, Grimm dives down in front of her face like a hawk. "Don't you dare touch her!"

Lila yelps as I look up with a start. "Grimm what are yo-"

"I have lived for billions of years but in all my life, I have never seen such a vile and insolent creature walk this Earth. If you were born a couple centuries ago, your disrespect could cause you your life."

Lila's shock morphs into a sneer. "Fascinating, is this the bat kwami?"

"Yes, and this is my claw," Grimm says as he almost brushes Lila's cheek.

"Lila, step away from Selene," Marinette says, darting towards us. With only a second to react, I clap my hands, encasing Grimm in both of my palms, and place it on my lap. Marinette slips in between Lila and me. "Come any closer and you'll hear it from me."

"You think I'll listen to you!" Lila says snidely.

"Lila Rossi, right?" Luka joins Marinette, blocking Lila's view of me. "I've heard a lot of rumours about you- none very pretty."

"And who are you?" Lila says scowling.

"I'm no one really," Luka says nonchalantly but I could detect the mild sadness. "But you're making a scene here. You should leave."

"You should go, Lila." Adrien appears like a third knight in shining armour with a severe look.

"Fine, but I don't think I did anything wrong," Lila says turning away with a look of haughty disdain.