Chapter 7 ❧ Newfound Camaraderie

"Good morning, Mrs Couffaine!" I greet, beaming at her. I climb into the Couffaine houseboat.

"Well, if it isn't our ray of sunshine. How are you, Selene?" Mrs Couffaine places her hands on her hips, returning my smile.

"I'm just catching up on homework with Jule and Rose," I say, gesturing to my schoolbag heavy with school papers. "Are they she here?"

"Selene over here!" Rose calls, waving her arm. Her head is popping out from the door to their living room.

Like the Eurasian I am, I bow to Mrs Couffaine. "Thank you for welcoming me!"

"You can visit us whenever you want," she assures before I make a beeline to Rose. I enter their living quarters and make a wistful sound. Even their living room reminds me of a cabin of a ship- maybe their house really is a pirate ship!

"All right, girls! So just sort out all the school work over here," Rose gestures at a table as I greet Juleka. "And then we can start on Physics."

"Does anyone have a coloured pen?" I ask, sitting down. Juleka tosses me a black pen. "I mean a brighter one?"

She passes me a dark blue one this time. I frown. "Light blue? Orange?"

A knock emits from a separate door across the room. I recognise the face of the head that pops out. "Hey, would you guys like snacks for later?"

I almost fall off my chair but I shoot up to my feet instead. "Y-you..."

His blue eyes widen in surprise, recognising me. "It's you."

"Ooooh," Roses says unnecessarily. "You guys know each other?"

"No," I say at the same time he says, "Yes."

"Okay, maybe." I instantly fabricate I lie inside my head. Juleka looks at us quizzically. "We met at-"

"A music shop," he chimes in.

"Yeah, and I was looking for a capo for my..." I trail of- busy internally panicking rather than finishing my sentence.

"Clarinet!" He says dumbly.

"Yes and wait what?" I turn and glare at him. He shrugs with a sheepish grin on his face. "We talked briefly. What brings you here?"

"Hi there! My name is Rose," Rise greets, extending a hand for a handshake.

He takes it politely. "I'm Luka- Juleka's brother."

"Annoying brother," Juleka adds in.

"What?!" I yelp, astounded.

"I guess, you've met Selene." Juleka eyes me with amusement. "Luka, do you mind if my friends stay for a while?"

"Only if you're all right with hearing me play guitar from the next room," He says.

"Just not too loud," she agrees. He nods before quickly throwing me a knowing look and leaving. I stared dumbly at the door, mildly perturbed.

"I didn't know you had such a cute brother, Jules!" Rose says shamelessly.

Juleka pouts, "Are you trying to make me jealous?"

"No of course not!" Rose says hurriedly, taking her hand. "But I think Selene may be interested."

"Absolutely not!" I exclaim vehemently, but I couldn't control the heat rising up from my neck to my cheeks.

Rose giggles as Juleka makes a face. "Not my brother."

I groan aloud. I take a random sheet of paper and pretend to look focused. "Let's just get back to work."

•●•●•●•●•