Chapter 15 ❧ Heart to Heart

As I wipe away my tears, I pull out my phone. It notifies me of 5 missed calls from an unknown number. I shrug it off but feel mildly disheartened that Adrien didn't call. Wasn't he worried about how I'm doing?

I skim the news online. The Ladyblog mentioned the battle of the heroic duo against Volpina today but, fortunately, never mentioned me as the Blood Bat so I believe I'm still under the radar.

I then dial Juleka's number. With Grimm by my side, I have a much clearer mind. Since Luka has relations to Master Shou I'm wondering if Juleka is similar. When the call went straight to voicemail, I proceeded to call Rose but she didn't answer either.

"Is that Rossi in the distance?" Grimm says, pointing to a redhead- stomping towards our direction. Oh boy. It all the things that happened today, I completely forgot about Lila.

"Quick. Hide," I whisper as he hops into my pocket. Lila storms over to me and points a finger on my chest.

"Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you!" Lila demands, her cellphone on her hand.

I scoff. "Oh so you're angry? I would be insane not to avoid you after the mess you made."

She narrows her eyes. Gritting her teeth, she says lithely, "I was just trying to help."

"No you weren't. I know your truly colours Lila, you lie to your hearts content to get what you want."

From out of the blue, she starts to laugh. From a passerby, it merely seems like two friends getting along. But her condescending gaze causes my anger to boil up. "Don't you see? You and I are alike."

"It's why I didn't bother to pretend in front of you." Without warning, she grabs onto my hands and acts sincere. "We put up a facade to suit others. We tell them exactly what they want to here. We're both liars so don't act like your nothing like me."

She lift her hand to pat my cheek, but I grab her wrist and grip it tight. "We're nothing alike. Unlike you, I have people to think for. I always keep others in mind while you only speak for yourself. Your own lies could stretch on for only so long." I stand my ground, refusing to be provoked and be pulled down to her level.

"You're no better than me, Selene," her words become more ominous. "If you only cooperate, I wouldn't have to consider hurting you."

"Oh, you're threatening me now?" I say, fists clenching.

"If that's what you would like to call it." She smirks as she pulls her wrist back and folds her arms. "You think you can stop me? Go ahead and tell everyone. Who would believe you?"

Someone clears their throat and disrupts our stare down. I withdraw back and see Marintte with her hands on her hips. I raise my hands in surrender. "Marinette, hey! I'm sorry you had to see that-"

"What are you doing, Lila?" Marinette demands, glaring at Lila.

"That's none of your business," Lila answers haughtily. Flipping her hair, she sashays away but not before throwing me a scowl.

"Hey, uh so-" I say, but Marinette places her palms on both of my shoulders.

"Whatever she said, don't believe any word of it. She's a liar. You may not believe me now, but you'll see," she says with a stern look in her blue eyes. Her resolve flickers when she inspects my face. There's a complete switch in her demeanor when she asks gently, "did she make you cry?"

"No," My breathe hitched when she pointed it out. I thought I was an expert in hiding tears. No one, not even Adrien, has ever noticed after I had grieved for Emilie for a whole day in my room. "It wasn't because of her."