Chapter 26 ❧ Finale: Heroes Assemble

On our way to our destination, we ran into many ordeals, especially from people desperate for rescue. Even for me, I was torn between facing Hawkmoth and saving the civilians who needed help right then and there, but before we could give up our former cause, something unexpected happened. From the smallest child to the strongest man, they held their ground. Everyone around us took action, using their mere wits and and numbers to rival super villains.

Somehow they all understood that we have something to pursue so they paved our way. I realised that atleast for the time being, they didn't need a hero to save them. It gave me the courage to to turn away and leave for now.

Once we arrived, I stop Adrien. "Can you be honest with me? In the back of your head do you think that maybe I'm lying to you- that I've really set a trap?" I look down on the jewellery safe in my hands. "You've trusted me so quickly."

"You'll never hurt me- or us. That much I know." Adrien places a firm hand on my shoulder. "No matter what, I'll always see you as my dear sister and that will never change. Even if we're not related by blood, we grew up by each other's side."

I smile, but I don't quite meet his gaze. The sense of doubt still creeps slowly into my mind.

"You might doubt me now, but I'm sure that at some point in your life, you made a risk to trust a stranger completely despite them having nothing but words to beckon you." Adrien ruffles my hair without warning.

"Hey!" I push him away as he laughs mischievously. I pat down my disheveled hair. "Don't be a jerk."

"Have faith in yourself, Sel," He says before gently shoving me forward with a protective hand behind my back. "We'll be ready at your signal." He disappears as he turns a corner.

I pull out my handphone and call Nathalie. I can't help but smirk when she answers by the first ring. Since the beginning, I've always bowed my to Hawkmoth and Nathalie. I've always done as told which was to play along as an accomplice. They haven't seen me play along like a villain.

If all my years using lies and deceit was any good, it should have a greater effect if I use it on my own accord.

"It's a lovely evening isn't it?" I ask, observing the starry sky above. "I mean, if you tune out the cries on the innocents in the streets, that is."

"I see you have decided," Nathalie answers, unperturbed.

"Straight to the point. I have in my hand right now are Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous. It was difficult to acquire them. Don't you know how immoral it is to betray friends?" I say in a dreamlike tone.

"If you are playing one of your foolish tricks, you will pay for it."

I make a loud, obnoxious sigh. "Call me a liar all you want but you'll see it for yourself soon enough."

"Unfortunately, you'll have to choose one," Natalie says.

"Excuse me?" I ask, temper rising.

"Choose between the snake miraculous and your friend," she explains. My grip on my phone tightens but I maintain my calm demeanor or else it would show in my voice. Hawkmoth would want to keep the snake miraculous so he would force me to choose while knowing I would pick Luka over the miraculous any day.

"Oh we're playing that game are we? Lucky for you, I like games. Since I have two assets too, why don't you go ahead pick. Only. One. It would be a fair trade." I emphasise my words. There's silence from the other end. It's so quiet that I could hear the pounding of my heart through my ears.

"I expect that you bring both miraculous and you will receive both the miraculous and your friend," she says finally. I hold in a sigh of relief but I allow my shoulders to relax.