Chapter 23 ❧ World Turns Upside Down

With a startling speed of a cheetah, Master Fu leads me to a shop I don't ever recall seeing, much less knowing. It's situated in a secluded street whereas we have to take three sudden turns before uncovering the hideaway. I feed Grimm his little snacks so he could replenish his energy along the way

At first glance, the place appears to be a humble massage shop with nothing particularly interesting to hide. When we enter the main room through sliding doors decorated with bamboo patterns, I get a strangely nostalgic feeling. Master Fu's Massage Shop is largely Chinese-influenced with scrolls hanging on the walls and lamps shaped like ancient lanterns.

A large red mat decorates the flooring at the centre and the room is completely vacant except for one man on a chair, watching a television on the wall.

"Old friend, I brought someone who I think you need to speak to," Master Fu says. I finally recognise the man's copper skin and, after seeing his face, the narrow eyes lining his face. I ask, "Is that you, Master Shou?"

"And is that you, LeClaire?" The gruffness in his voice is even more significant. He doesn't even have to face me. "Today is the last day."

"About that..." I turn to Grimm, placing a hand on my ribbon. "I'm not returning him- and he's not an object and shouldn't be treated that way."

He doesn't react- not with anger, sadness or even disappointment. He simply gestures to me to come over so I acquiesce. He points a wrinkled finger towards the television. "Tell me what you see."

I grumble, thinking I don't have time for this. I face the screen and watch the news play. The news reporter appears but she seems more frazzled and serious than usual.

"Citizens of Paris. I urgently advise you to return back to your homes, lock your doors, close your curtains or take shelter at to the most secure area you could find. Countless super villains we have seen defeated before have all returned.

Every last one of them.

They are all dangerous and have malicious intent, but this is not an akuma attack. I repeat, this is not an akuma attack."

My brows furrow in confusion. "The news reporter is telling us to stay indoors since some super villains are popping up," I say.

"I can hear her words crystal clear, but I want you to describe what the news is showing."

I remain silent for a very long time, rendered speechless by what the news is relaying. Is this actually happening in Paris?

"Selene," Master Shou pulls me out from my daze.

"People are in danger. I recognise past villains, but they don't seem akumatized." To my shock, I see the super hero Queen Bee battling Queen Wasp who looks frighteningly similar to her. Aren't they the same person? The video switches to Rogercop terrorizing civilians but there in the sidelines, is the same, non-akumatized police officer trying to help evacuate people to safety. It almost looks like... "Is this another of Volpina's illusions?"

But they look too authentic and extremely vicious. They seem similar to the Blood Bat clones Volpina created which seemed so real, it was terrifying. But Luka- is Luka fighting those super villains too?

I retreat back, reaching for the door to the exit. "I have to go."

He sighs. "This shouldn't have happened. I shouldn't have played along. The boy should have convinced you that-"

"Don't pull Luka into any of this. The only reason you tried using the Couffaines is that I met them briefly as a child. My decision doesn't change; I'm not letting him go."