Chapter 15: Rising and Falling

Kai was looking at the pancakes Zane had left him. He knew he hadn't eaten for at least two days, but honestly he didn't feel hungry at all.

So he decided he wasn't going to eat any of it.

Then Nya walked in.

Nya: "Hey bro..."
Kai: "Hey Nya..."

She walked over to the bed he was laying on and stood in front of him.

Nya: "I'm guessing you heard about Lloyd then?"
Kai: "Yeah... Do you know where he went?"
Nya: "...um...well, I don't know where he went..."

Kai could tell that by the look in her eyes and the tone of her voice, she had either done something wrong, or was hiding something from him. He squinted at her and decided he should try to find out what it was.

Kai: "Nya? What did you do?"

Kai looked over at Nya, her head was pointed towards the ground but she could still feel his partial glare through the top of her head.

Kai: "Was it something bad?!"
Nya: "Uh... I..."
Kai: "Don't hide things from me!" *cough*
Nya: "I told him he shouldn't be with you!"

It took a moment for Kai to fully understand what she had said, but when he did, he wanted to explode with rage.

Kai: "...WHY?"
Nya: "I-I was just angry! I didn't want him to run away!"

She took a step away from her brother.

Kai: "You can't make my decisions for me Nya!"
Nya: "Well you are always like this to me! Besides... I didn't mean to make him this upset..."

Kai ignored her last statement, and he imagined that Lloyd could be hiding somewhere and was probably crying. He wasn't even mad at Lloyd anymore! He just wanted to see him again. Now he was mad at Nya.

Kai: "You cant just THROW people out of my life Nya!"
Nya: "What?! I-I wasn't trying to get rid of him... Just... I wasn't thinking!"
Kai: "No, you weren't... *sniff* obviously..."

She took a step closer to Kai this time, and held her hand out as she attempted to place it on his shoulder.

Nya: "Kai I'm-"
Kai: "Just... Leave me alone..."

She pulled her hand back towards her.

Nya: "Kai-"
Kai: "I said get out!"

Nya didnt say anything after that, she knew she had upset Kai and didnt want to make things worse. She looked at Kai one last time, her eyes were full of guilt but Kai wasn't looking back at her.

She walked over to the door and looked back at her brother one last time before she walked out, closing it quietly behind her.

He looked towards the door, where Nya was just standing and he let out a sigh. He didn't want to shout at her... But he just wasn't feeling right today. In fact, he hadn't been feeling alright since he woke up but he couldn't tell what it was exactly.

He still didn't know why his powers weren't working either. He couldn't do anything at the moment! He felt so useless... He really wanted Lloyd to be there with him...

Then the door opened.

Kai: "I said leave me- oh sorry Zane..."
Zane: "That's quite alright."

Zane came through the door and closed it behind him. He walked forward a bit toward Kai and looked at the pancakes he left for him. He noticed that they hadn't even been touched.

Zane: "You haven't eaten yet?"

He looked at Kai with a small amount of sadness in his eyes, wondering if his cooking was bad.