Question 18

Awake
-

Jisung parked his car in a parking spot that was only a fast walk to the entrance of the hospital. He gave a quick glance towards Felix, who looked as close to death as Changbin was.

"You're just going to be walking flesh and bones when Changbin wakes up if you don't start taking care of yourself." Jisung mentioned, watching the freckled boy nod slowly. He gave Jisung a desolate smile, and all Jisung could do was hold himself back from begging Felix to try and cheer up because he knew it wasn't that easy.

So, Jisung decided to take matters into his own hands as he quickly texted his manager that he wouldn't make it to work that day.

As he got out of the car, Felix gave him a confused look. Jisung only smiled, throwing his bag over his shoulder. He paid no mind to the sound of Felix's speed walking behind him.

"What are you doing? I thought you had work," Felix said, finally catching up to Jisung as they walked through the seemingly endless hospital halls.

Jisung laughed, pushing the elevator button to go up. "Work can wait. You need someone to look after you because if no one does, the only thing that's going to be waiting for Changbin when he wakes up is a pile of bones and clothes because you forgot to take care of yourself."

Taken back, Felix just watched Jisung's smile turn into a concerned look that he never thought he'd see on the face of someone so carefree.

"Speechless, I see," Jisung chuckled, turning around and patting Felix's shoulders. "I know how much you love Changbin. God, I've grown to consider him one of my best friends! But you have got to take care of yourself if you want to be able to sit next to him when he wakes up. If you let your sulking get the best of your health, you're gonna be in a hospital bed right next to his."

Jisung knew the words would metaphorically slap him in the face, but he could care less. Felix needed a wake up call, and the nurse's advising him to get rest just wasn't working.

He saw the effort Felix put into holding his tears back, but knowing that would be just as bad for his health as not eating properly, he hugged him and told him to let it all out. Sometimes you just got to cry.

"I will when I won't be walked in on," Felix muttered, a short laugh escaping his tightly shut lips.

Jisung chuckled a bit, walking out of the confined space of the elevator. Leading the other boy to his boyfriend's room, he let out a deep sigh in hopes it would ready himself for the emotional days ahead.

When he walked in the room, Jisung was hit by them smell of daisies. A purple vase sat on the table next to the window, trying to catch as many rays of sun it could. They seemed well watered, and healthy.

"Have you been taking care of those?" Jisung asked. Felix, who wasn't in a mood to talk that much just nodded his head yes.

At least he was taking care of something.

"Jisung," Felix mumbled. The boy who was called for turned his attention away from the flowers, paying full attention to the person who wanted it. "You don't have to look after me."

"You're right," Jisung said, taking off his jacket and resting it on the arm of a chair. He ran his hand through his hair, and he pulled a book from his bag that he had set on the floor beside his chosen seat. "I don't have to look after you."

"Then what are you doing?" Felix asked, scratching his head as he watched Jisung attempt to get comfortable in the god-awful hospital chairs.

"Taking care of you." The boy simply stated.

"But you agreed with me saying that you didn't ha-"

"Shh," Jisung hushed, holding his pointer finger up to help convey his command, "I didn't say I was looking after you. I said I was taking care of you."

"And those are different?" Felix mocked, pulling the chair that was beside Jisung's toward Changbin's bed.

Jisung laughed, his voice going to his usual comical tone he used to cheer people up, "totally different! If I was looking after you, I would just advise you to do something. Taking care of you is feeding you even if I have to shove the food down your throat and getting you to shower even if it means I have to shower with you."

"Too far," Felix called behind him, shuddering at the thought of him and Jisung showering together. "That's a scary thing to think about."

Jisung laughed, and then the two of them fell into a comfortable silence. Jisung had undoubtedly made Felix's mood better, but the underlying feeling of doubt and stress rested in the pit of his stomach. Constant waves of nausea crashing at the shores of Felix's throat.

-

Hours of occasional chatting and laughing over stupid jokes later, Jisung had parted from the small room on a mission to get the two of them lunch. He had commented on the cafeteria serving fried green tomatoes and how he needed to try them.

So, Felix was left sitting there, watching Changbin's chest rise and fall.

The freckled boy slid his hand in the others, squeezing it. "Please wake up, Bin. I'm falling apart."

As Felix rested his head on their connected hands, he could feel the faint squeeze Changbin did. Eyes widening, Felix stood up so forcefully his chair fell backwards.

"Woah, Felix! What's going on?" Jisung asked, placing their food on the counter the room had.

"He's awake!" Felix cried.

"Oh my God!" Jisung screamed, running from the counter to the other side of the bed, their lunch completely forgotten.

"Come on, Changbin! You can do it!" Felix called, squeezing Changbin's hand back. He became ecstatic when he squeezed back harder then last time.

After squeezing each other's hands back and forth, Changbin's breath became more rapid, and his beautiful eyes opened to see his two best friends standing over him, happy to see him alive.

"Oh my God, Binnie!" Felix cried, tears falling from his eyes. The boy leaned down to pepper kisses all over the boys face, causing a smile to paint itself across the patient's face.

And Jisung could feel himself drown in relief, because Felix finally had his light back in his life.

His light was finally awake.