Question 23

Happy Graduation
-

The Valedictorian walked up onto stage, and Changbin felt so nervous. He already knew he was going to receive his diploma, but he wasn't at school when all the students talked to their counselors. He wasn't there to discuss his hopes and dreams for his future.

He was in a rehabilitation center instead, worrying and taking care of his mental health so he could actually have a future to worry about.

Changbin's knee bobbed up and down because he was a nervous wreck, and sitting next to some kid he didn't even know wasn't helping. He saw Felix sitting next to a guy from their history class, so desperately wishing he had someone from his classes he knew to sit beside.

He did have someone he knew behind him, but he wasn't ready to speak to Jeongin just yet.

But the world was not on his side today because Jeongin had tapped his shoulder with an annoying "uh, hey Changbin," to follow the action. Changbin turned around in his seat, wary of the people beside him and making sure to not accidentally hit them.

The younger boy smiled, his face drowning in the look of guilt and anxiety. Changbin's heart slowed, and he suddenly felt bad for ignoring the boy when he sat down.

As both his psychiatrists had said, "it's better to forgive and remember then hold a grudge, forget, and never speak again."

So Changbin smiled at the boy, and he noticed the surprise that was quickly contorted into a happy smile. The younger boy handed Changbin a letter, and begun to speak, "Seungmin asked me to give that to you. I didn't read it, and he is here and will be graduating, so don't worry."

Changbin nodded, stuffing the letter into his pocket before looking back at Jeongin to respond, "Thanks. And by the way, Jeongin, I think it's totally cool to be graduating a year early, unlike those pricks you call your friends."

"Thank you, Changbin. Don't worry about me though. I'm super happy you survived, and I'm sorry for what I did. It was wrong." Jeongin said, a light pink dusting his cheeks in embarrassment. The embarrassment of spreading the news and about being bullied. Changbin, Felix, and Jisung noticed Jeongin getting talked down by lower class men his age, mocking his intelligence. Jisung even went up to the group and told the boys to scatter once. Changbin guessed Jeongin didn't realize it was obvious.

"I forgive you, Jeongin. And thank you, I appreciate it. Now lets enjoy graduating! We're getting away from high school!" Changbin cheered, now a little more comfortable being able to talk to the one person he knew.

Jeongin nodded, his face bright with excitement as they began to listen to what the principal was saying.

A minute later, they began to hand out diplomas. Changbin was bobbing his knee again. He watched all the seniors walk across stage, shake the principals hand, and walked off the other end of the stage waiting for their parents to take a picture of them coming down from the stairs.

His mother, Taehyung, Jungkook, Jimin, and even Felix's parents and siblings we're here to support them, and Changbin's heart swelled in happiness knowing so many people were here to support him and his boyfriend graduating.

Pride washed over Changbin as he watched Felix walk on stage, a happy smile adorning his natural face. He decided to leave his freckles for the world to see, knowing how much Changbin likes them.