Question 22

Hell Hole
-

The amount of dread Changbin felt as he laid awake in Felix's bed the morning of his first day back at school was probably unhealthy. He groaned so loud he woke Felix up, leading him to feel bad about it because it was an hour before they needed to get up.

"Baby," Felix mumbled, his voice soft with confusion lacing his tired tone. Changbin turned his head to look at Felix, giving him a small smile as Felix rolled over to wrap his arm around Changbin's waist. Dosing off, Felix continued to mumble, "what're you up for?"

Changbin sighed, rolling over. He pecked Felix's cheek before answering, "I guess I'm just nervous. I haven't been back in months, and I don't know how everyone will be, and I'm extremely tired."

"Bin," Felix said, more awake after hearing what was causing his boyfriend's lack of sleep, "I can't tell you that everybody is going to be excited to see you, but I can tell you that there are people who are excited to see you back. Jisung was basically vibrating Friday because he was so excited to see you today."

"How can you say big words this early?" Changbin mumbled, laying his head on Felix's chest. They were both staring at the blank ceiling, basking in each other's presence.

"I can do anything if it means you're going to benefit from it." Felix said, causing Changbin to scoff and smack him. Felix laughed, giving the boy a peck on the head.

After snuggling into Felix's embrace, Changbin whispered, "I did benefit from your large vocabulary."

"Good to know."

-

They barely went back to sleep, just talking to each other while they tried to dose off. Unfortunately for their need of sleep, they didn't fall asleep, but fortunately for their mental state, staying up had successfully calmed their nerves.

Felix and Changbin got up before the alarm even went off, and decided to make breakfast that ended up half burnt.

After, they had brushed their teeth and washed their faces. They chose each others outfits and Changbin happily watched Felix put on light eyeshadow.

After getting ready, the two boys raced to the bus stop, ten minutes earlier than needed. They chatted about everything and nothing on their way to school, and held hands as they walked into the large and intimidating building.

Hearing loud and fast footsteps, Changbin and Felix turned around to see a wild Jisung running faster than any track runner they'd ever seen coming towards them before colliding into Changbin, who would've fell backwards if Felix hadn't gotten behind him in order to catch him. Jisung embraced Changbin for a full minute before letting go. The energized boy bounced on his feet, his smile to wide for it to be seven something in the morning, "I'm so happy you're back, Changbin. It's been so unbelievably uncomfortable and boring in Mr. Min's class."

Laughing at the ridiculous statement, Changbin patted the boys shoulder in mock sympathy before replying, "I am so very sorry for the inconvenience sir. Believe me, I have been half way dying to come back to school."

"Half way dying?" Felix asked, leading the three of them into the building once more.

Changbin shrugged, deciding he'd explain what he thought was a self-explanatory statement, "I have been really bored, but I also hate school work."

Both of the other boys made an "o" shape with their mouths, laughing in the relatable sentence.

But instead of laughing along with them, Changbin could feel his breathing become unsteady, and he felt as if all eyes were watching his every move. They all suddenly remembered what happened to him, what he did, why he was gone for so long. He could feel anger radiating off of some people for putting the popular kid in prison. Changbin could feel the rejection coming from the judgmental teenagers lining the hallways.

He was almost suffocating.

Pulling on the back of Felix's shirt, he suddenly felt as if he was a small child that needed to be protected from the harsh realities of this world. He felt like the kid everybody avoided because he was weird.

He felt so uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable in a school he'd been going to for years, the people he's known since he was a child watching him under intimidating glares and quick glances. They continuously watched his every move, as if waiting for him to do something they could make fun of him for.

Felix turned around, his eyes so full of worry and concern and care that Changbin calmed down enough to form a sentence, "Can we go to the bathroom please?"

"Of course, Bin," Felix said, wrapping a protective arm around the shorter boy. Jisung gave hateful look to anyone who looked at them funny.

Making it to the nearest boys bathroom, Changbin latched onto Felix. His whole body was trembling. His voice was shaky and cracking, "Lix, I can't do it. I want to go home."

"Babe," Felix muttered, rocking Changbin back and forth, knowing the boy needed comfort.

After a few minutes, the two had separated, as Changbin was a lot less shaky than before. Felix pushed his hair off his forehead to help cool him off. He gave Changbin a smile, "You can do this, Bin. I know it's a lot to process, but you have to stay strong. You'll have me or Jisung in every class, maybe even both of us in the same class. We'll be right there beside you if you need anything."

"Absolutely anything. If you need a tissue, I'll get up and get you a tissue. If you're too nervous to ask a question, I'll ask it for you. If you need your confidence boosted, I will get on my hands and knees and bow down to you and praise you as if you are a greek god." Jisung said, his tone too serious for all those ridiculous remarks that it made Changbin laugh.

He felt better. He felt more comfortable.

Felix smiled at him, and Changbin couldn't help but smile back. His boyfriend's face so beautiful and bright that it made Changbin want to kiss every one of his freckles.

"And if you get to overwhelmed, I'll take you away from this hell hole of a high school." Felix said, his tone a mix of comical and serious.

Feeling a whole lot better, Changbin nodded, and shook his whole body. "Okay, I'm ready to face the smelly, judgmental species called high school teen in it's native habitat. Onward, my young subjects!" Changbin had called, happily marching out of the bathroom.

Felix and Jisung were laughing right behind him, making the beginning of his first day back great.

But then class started.

"Who the fuck decided education was important?" Changbin cursed.

"Literally everybody." Felix responded.

"I agree to disagree with that statement." Jisung said, receiving a glare of betrayal from Felix.

"Thanks Jisung." Changbin patted the boy shoulder as he also received a glare of betrayal.

"I feel so betrayed." Felix muttered, his act of disbelief so unbelievably awful that Changbin just patted his shoulder too and said, "Suck it up buttercup. We've got class."