Chapter 11

(Y/n)'s POV

~Timeskip to IDOLiSH7's first concert~

Painstakingly combing my hair back, sighing in exasperation. Tsumugi frantically blamed herself for the small crowd that had come, yet her frustration could not even compare to the irritation that had grown in my heart.

Mr Takanashi smiled gently as his daughter apologised for the nine people that had come. A tender hand on her shoulder. A forgiving heart...and encouraging words. My father had never...given me those things.

"Now you know that you'll need to do much more than making a website and handing out flyers. Anyone can visit a website or take a flyer. Coming to a concert takes a lot more effort. But the fact that you're not blaming the boys is good enough," he said to her.

Determination glinted in her bright eyes. My steps faltered. Mind wavering. This girl...was strong, and I found myself somewhat envious of the fact that her father supported her so lovingly.

Trailing behind Tsumugi after her talk, I clenched my fists. This wasn't good enough. I had failed not only myself but the boys as well. Who did I think I was? I defied my father, I lured sponsors and competitors. I could argue, and I would if I deemed it necessary.

Tsumugi pushed the door open, looking stricken with worry. I stood back, waiting for them to ask. She told them of the nine person audience, immediately apologising with sincerity.

"That's more than we expected," commented Yamato.
"Yeah, don't worry about it, manager," Riku exclaimed.
"Don't beat yourself up. We're not blaming anyone," added Mitsuki.
"It's only our first concert," Sogo said.
"(L/n)-san, you seem awfully quiet," Iori pointed out.

I let out a small smile, stepping forward to stand beside Tsumugi.

"I'm sorry," I said while taking a deep bow.
"Oi oi, what-"
"Yamato, please let me explain. As you guys already know, I've worked in this industry before and yet, I haven't been able to live up to your expectations. In truth, Mr Takanashi has asked me not to get involved with the organisation of this concert. He wanted you all to learn, especially you, Tsumugi."
"Me?" she asked.
"Yes. He wanted you to experience it for yourself. I could've gathered an audience to fill the entire arena. I could've done a lot more to promote IDOLiSH7...but I didn't. I'm...sorry."

Hiding my ashen knuckles and my pulsing fists, I bowed once again, ashamed of my actions. A minute of silence passed, an excruciatingly long minute. An arm was thrown around my shoulders, taking me aback.

"(Y/n), no need to blame yourself. You were just following your boss's orders. You're an incredibly hard worker, even Iori said so...so there's no need to overwork yourself all the time," Mitsuki exclaimed, grinning.
"Come on, today's our first concert. Cheer up," Nagi said.
"(Y/n)-chan, you can just help us next time. No, you have to help us," added Tamaki.
"*smiles* Thank you!"

~During their concert~

The lights danced around, their radiance permeating all those around them. Their voices melted into one, their melodies beautiful and distinct. I was in awe.

The boys looked happy, their movements were energetic, their expressions joyful. A large smile grew on my face. I soon found myself waving my arms, feeling the same rush of adrenaline I felt during Trigger's concerts.

Tsumugi turned to me, a smile on her face as she watched me. I turned to flash a grin, happy to have found a group that had potential. All thoughts of defying father left my mind as I continued to sway along to the music.

No one's POV

Iori caught sight of (Y/n) in the audience, surprise reflected in his eyes. Her genuine happiness was a rare sight, the first he'd seen of her behave in such a way. He felt himself fuelled by her kind smile.

Riku noticed the male's subtle gaze on the silver-haired girl, smiling even brighter. With a bow, the seven of them finished the concert, tying the whole thing up in smooth wrapping paper.

(Y/n) and Tsumugi immediately left the seating area and went backstage to congratulate the boys. Their smiles were beaming.

"You guys did a great job!" Tsumugi exclaimed.
"That was amazing," (Y/n) added.

They took the words to heart, knowing that offering lip service wasn't something any of the two would do.

"Thanks! We'll try even harder next time," replied Riku.
"Thanks for your hard work. You guys should go home and have a nice rest," (Y/n) said.
"Yes! I can't wait to eat my king pudding," Tamaki said as he waved goodbye.

The others thanked Tsumugi and (Y/n) before following suit. The two stretched their arms, looking at each other before bursting into laughter.

~Some time later~

(Y/n) walked alone under the dim moonlight. The deserted street beside the serene park, the empty playground...all reminded her of her childhood without any parental love.

A figure suddenly pushed her up against the fence, the girl's bloodshot eyes blazing with rage. (Y/n) hid her shock, feigning indifference instead.

"Haru-san."
"I hate you, I hate you so much...if it wasn't for you, Iori-kun'd be dating me right now, but he keeps rejecting me. I'm...going to move overseas with my parents and I don't want to lose him..."
"I'm sorry, I never should've talked to him. I'm truly sorry for your loss..."
"That's right, you-"
"Is that what you were expecting me to say? Your love life has nothing to do with me. Iori chose to reject you simply because he didn't like you. You probably only wanted him because of his being an idol. You've just deluded yourself into thinking that you love him."
"W-what?!"

Haru raised her hand, yet (Y/n) simply grabbed her arm and flipped the girl over so that she had her arms above her head. Haru twisted in her grasp, desperately trying to get free.

"Let me go!" she yelled angrily.
"(L/n)-san?"

The two turned their heads, and met the gaze of the person they'd least expected to come across in the dead of night.