Chapter 72

(Y/n)'s POV

A yawn escaped my mouth as I opened the door to Trigger's dorm. The clock's digits landed on 10:30pm as small lights filtered through the gap beneath Ryuu and Tenn's doors. Was Gaku-nii not back yet?

The sweet scent of chocolate drifted through the air as I stirred a steaming cup of hot cocoa. Setting it on my desk in my bedroom, I immediately went to get ready for a hot shower.

A brief, fleeting melancholy casted over my fun memories of this evening as I recalled Naomi leaning up to kiss Iori on the lips. Why...did I have to see them? Tears mixed with the water, melting into nothingness.

"(Y/n)-chan, let's go play. It'll make you happy, right?" Tamaki had asked.
"You just want to play for yourself," Sogo had replied.

A bittersweet spread across my face. Tonight...was full of good and bad memories. I shouldn't dwell on the bad ones for all they would do was take away my happiness.

I dried myself and pulled on my pyjamas, eager to drink the still steaming hot cocoa slowly cooling on my desk. Tenn's surprised voice startled me from my thoughts as I rushed outside to see what the commotion was.

"He had a few drinks so I had to drive him home," Tsumugi explained.
"Stay over," Gaku-nii said.
"You're always making trouble," Tenn commented.
"Huh?! Say that again-"
"No fighting," I scolded.

His face was flushed, his hands too warm as they came to ruffle my hair. I grabbed onto them, looking past him to meet Tsumugi's blushing gaze.

"No, it's fine. I can-"
"Come on, Tsumugi. You can stay in my room."
"I'll take him," Ryuu said as he grabbed Gaku-nii's arm.
"Douzo," Tenn exclaimed, and moved aside to let Tsumugi in.

I waved her over, leading her to the end of the hallway and into my room. She hesitantly stepped inside before quietly taking a seat on my bed. I searched through my closet and managed to find another set of pyjamas for her to wear.

"Take your time in the shower. Give me your clothes after. I'll wash them. You can wear some of mine tomorrow."
"Are you sure? I don't want to trouble you..."
"Yeah, absolutely. I'll make you so pretty that my brother won't be able to resist you."
"...that was your motive all along, wasn't it?"
"Of course not. I've always wanted to have a sleepover with a friend."

I flashed an enigmatic smile before pushing her into the bathroom. I went to the bed, pulling the covers tight over my body as I waited for Tsumugi to finish.

~The next day~

A proud smile adorned my face as I examined Tsumugi's appearance. I had given her a pleated skirt matched with a white blouse and royal blue jacket. Her hair was done up in a high ponytail with some strands framing her petite face.

"Oi, stop flinching."
"Sorry, I'm just not used to others doing my makeup..." she replied.
"Okay, all done."
"(Y/n)...this is amazing..."

I had forbade her to look in the mirror until the creation of my masterpiece had come to an end. Seeing the happy look on her face caused a warm feeling to spread in my chest. Gaku-nii's impatient voice sounded from the other side of the door.

"Alright, we're done, you impatient ogre!"
"Finally! You sure took..."

His words trailed off as his eyes landed on Tsumugi. A pink blush coated her cheeks as he continued to stare, enchanted. I coughed sharply, managing to get their attention as I strolled out of the room.

Tenn and Ryuu were already waiting by the door. I passed Tsumugi a pair of black boots to match, feeling a smirk appear on my face as my love-stricken brother looked elsewhere to distract his blushing cheeks.

"(Y/n), come with us. Gaku's going to take Takanashi," Tenn exclaimed.
"Okay, bye guys."
"(Y/n), you'll be coming in today, right?" Tsumugi asked.
"Yeah, have fun with your boyfriend."
"We're not dating!" the two yelled simultaneously.
"Yeah yeah, whatever you say."

I smiled and followed Tenn to Ryuu's car, which he had already started up. Tenn and I scooted into the back seats before I leaned against his shoulder as my mind stupidly conjured up an image of Iori and Naomi from the night before.

Tall skyscrapers lined the horizon, dark clouds rolling in the distance. Was it going to rain? I unconsciously gripped Tenn's hand, feeling his warmth seep through the coldness. His fingers wrapped tight around mine.

My heart lurched out of my chest as Ryuu suddenly slammed on the brakes. Tenn's arms came to prevent me from hitting anything. My eyes frantically searched the scene ahead before a small explosion blew up the car a few metres away.

"W-what happened?..."

Around us people screamed, others watched and some ran. The police had gathered around, marking areas and putting some off limits. I felt a shiver go down my spine as they directed the hectic array of cars to different roads.

"(Y/n), Tenn, are you both okay?" Ryuu asked.
"Yeah, we're fine," replied Tenn.
"R-Ryuu...let's go."

He eased his car into a slow drive. I shook my head, trying to prevent the traumatic memories from emerging. Mother's tearful face, Mr Anderson's rare anxious voice, Isaac's exasperated, angry actions and...Violet's blood-soaked clothes.

"(Y/n)," Tenn whispered.
"I'm fine. We're gonna be late at this rate. Hang on, I'll call Anesagi."

I waited two rings before she picked up.

"We're going to be late. Check to see if their interview questions can be changed to make for a shorter episode."
"Did something happen?" she asked, somewhat suspicious.
"There was an accident. We're gonna have to take the longer route."
"Alright, I'll see what I can do."
"Thanks."
"*sigh* Making me do all this extra work..."

I shut my eyes, willing myself to cut all connections with reality. My mind entered a dark void as baseless whispers swirled around, trying to drag me down into a bottomless pit of sorrow.

No, this wasn't my problem. I forced my eyes open in time to see Tenn holding up a (f/f) lollipop. A small smile stretched on my face before I gratefully took the sweet from his hand.