Chapter 55

(Y/n)'s POV

Music blasted through the speakers as Trigger hopped on stage. The familiar melody of 'Crescent Rise' filled the arena as they began singing and dancing to the song.

As usual, Anesagi had to drag me away from the side of the stage. Tenn's eyes caught my gaze at the last minute, a small smile appearing on his face.

"*sigh* More paperwork I'm guessing?"
"Actually, there's not much today. I finished it all beforehand," Anesagi replied.
"Then-"
"But we have other things to do. I need you to deliver these documents to your father."
"...understood."
"Then take the rest of the day off."
"Okay- what? I'm still working-"
"You're still a young girl, (Y/n). You're pushing yourself too much. Tenn told me he was worried about you."
"Tch, he's only a year older than me..."
"(Y/n)."
"Fine, fine. I'll take a rest."

I took the stack of documents on the table she had gestured to, and headed to the bus station with a sigh. Trigger's concert was going to be over by the time I got back.

As the bus travelled along the busy road, my mind drifted to the drama IDOLiSH7 would be working on. Iori falling in love with a barista...my heart thumped in rapid jealousy.

What was I thinking? It was just a drama, and this was work. I had to keep my feelings and work separate. Iori's love life was of no concern to me and neither was mine to him.

I hopped off the bus as soon as it pulled to a stop at my destination. Within a few minutes, I was already inside Yaotome Productions and had proceeded to the elevator that would take me to father's office.

I knocked on the door, yet to my surprise, no one was in the office. I heaved the heavy stack onto his desk before stretching my aching arms. Pulling my bag over my shoulder, I turned around only to face a boy around my age.

His dark purple eyes widened as we continued to stare at each other. I offered a polite smile and bowed before walking towards the door. I could feel his gaze lingering on me as I put my hand on the doorknob.

"Are you...perhaps Mr Yaotome's...?" he began.
"Yes?"
"Are you his daughter?"
"I'm a mere employee. Please pay me no mind."
"I see...I was being such a fool..."

I cocked my head to the side, about to ask a question yet all he did was walk past me.

"Hey-"
"Your father ruined my mother's business. I wanted to take revenge...but now I see. He also has family..."

A frown graced my face as he disappeared down the hallway. Father had two many enemies...was business not all about trust?... Shaking the odd encounter from my head, I headed to the bus stop once more.

~Some time later~

I weaved through the crowds of people, muttering apologies here and there. A young boy, seemingly seven or eight years old, unexpectedly clutched onto my legs as two older boys chased him around.

"Oneesan, p-please help me."
"Oi miss, he stole my belongings!" said one of the older boys.
"No I didn't! This bag is mine!"
"Is not! It belongs to me! My dad gave it to me!"
"That's not true! I got it from my dad!"

I frowned, unsure of who was telling the truth. Bending down to meet the young boy's teary gaze, I flashed a warm smile. He held the black backpack tightly in his arms, as if afraid I'd take it away.

"Do you mind if I...?"

I opened the front pouch and pulled out the receipt. He watched me as I scanned the details before standing up. The others came forward and waited for me to speak up.

"When did your dad buy this?"
"Y-yesterday," replied the older boy.
"This bag isn't yours. Don't go around stealing stuff from younger kids."
"But miss-"
"If you really want it, ask your dad. I'm sure-"
"We don't...have the money..."

I handed the young boy the receipt. He immediately bowed in thanks before running off. I took a few steps towards the older boy and ruffled his hair.

"Then study hard at school. Find a part-time job when you're old enough. Earn the money yourself."
"Miss..."
"Here."

I handed each of the two boys a few coins.

"Go buy some ice-cream or something, ne?"
"Yay! Thank you!"

I waved goodbye as they ran off in the direction of the food stalls. Suddenly, someone covered my eyes from behind. A smile graced my face as I put my hands over theirs and pulled them away.

"How long were you watching me for, Iori?"
"Since when did you give money to children?"

He came to stand in front of me yet a casual smile was on his face. The wind carried my name over, whispering each syllable as I turned my head. Mitsuki waved his arms, a large grin adorning his face.

"You guys finished your concert."
"Did you finish your work with Trigger?" Iori asked.
"Yeah, Anesagi told me to have the day off."
"Hey (Y/n)!" Naomi greeted cheerfully.

Her gaze quickly slid down to Iori's hand over mine before she averted her eyes and gestured for me to go meet up with the others. Guilt gnawed at my heart.

I carefully tried to slip my hand out of his gentle grasp yet he only tightened his hold. I met his gaze through the corner of my eyes. His expression seemed to say that he didn't care anymore.

"(Y/n)-chan, I'm hungry," Tamaki exclaimed.
"Oi, come on. She's not your mum," Yamato started.
"Why don't we go for a walk and then some dinner?"
"Sure thing," replied Riku.
"Come on, Naomi."

She linked arms with me and flashed a nonchalant grin. I smiled back, feeling Iori's reassuring grip as he stepped slightly closer to my body.

"Miss me that much?" I whispered quietly with a tease.
"Isn't it the other way around, ojou-chan?"
"Are you two, you know...dating?" Naomi asked as she poked her head around.
"Huh? No way. I just love seeing his reaction."
"Heh, that sure sounds like you."

Though on the inside, I was hurting. I wished we were. I wanted us to be...but now my heart seemed to be even more confused. Would I be betraying her...if I did follow my gut and voiced my feelings for the male standing beside me?