Chapter 96

(Y/n)'s POV

The moon hung high in the night sky, softly illuminating the scenery as we silently strode through the streets. Momo and Yuki had left for other work whilst the rest of us slowly made our way home.

In the end, I had accepted. I was afraid. People'd say that I simply utilised my brother's popularity to gain a position like this. They'd say I was already my father's daughter so of course I'd be able to get this job.

My nails dug sharply into my palms as I casted my eyes downward. This wasn't about fame nor money. I wanted to believe I had the talent and skill...but was that really true?

"Is something wrong?" Tamaki asked.

I immediately released my fingers from piercing my skin.

"Nothing."
"Are you sure?" he pressed on.

A reassuring smile plastered itself onto my face like it was second nature. A light laugh left my lips as I told him he needn't worry too much. He seemed eased by my nonchalant reply, not realising the fear gnawing at my heart.

"Wanna grab something to eat?" asked Mitsuki.
"I-"
"I'll take (Y/n). You all can go on ahead," Iori replied.
"Oohh, a date I see," Mitsuki teased.
"Niisan, maybe you should try getting a girlfriend yourself."
"You!"

I cracked a smile. Iori returned the gesture, a gentle glint in his eyes. You finally smiled. I squeezed his hand before he intertwined our fingers. Tenn let go of my other hand, winking teasingly as I pouted and turned away.

"I'm going home. Take care of her," Gaku-nii exclaimed before heading off.
"Oi, wait up!" Ryuu called.
"Would you all like to come over for dinner?" asked Tenn.
"Can we?" Tsumugi replied.
"Sure, I don't mind cooking," Ryuu answered.
"Alright. Iori, don't get into too much trouble," Nagi said.
"*blush* And I hope you don't get any more weird ideas in your head," replied the blushing male.

We watched as everyone walked away. The streets suddenly became silent, accentuating the buzzing of insects and the sound of traffic in the more populated areas of the city.

Iori suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me closer, snaking an arm around my waist as his other hand came to interlock with my hair. He closed the distance between our faces until his lips met mine in a slow yet desperate kiss.

I locked my hands in his hair, deepening the kiss, wanting to savour this moment. He pulled away ever so slightly, our noses still touching, our warmth interlocked.

"I'm so glad that you're safe," he murmured against my lips.
"Iori..."
"But you're going to be really busy from now on...I wanted to spend more time with you..."

I buried my face in his chest, stifling a giggle that had risen to my throat. His hands rested on my arms as he inspected my face. A large smile tugged at my mouth.

"What's so funny?" he asked.
"You're cute."
"H-huh?"

Instead of replying, I grabbed his hand and led him into the vibrant city. The streets bustled with iridescent lights, large screens on skyscrapers and nonchalant citizens roaming the paths with eased smiled on their faces.

A bubbly, bittersweet feeling rose in my chest, reminiscent of the times I'd go out with Gaku-nii all those years ago. Those times...seemed like a million years away but walking here with Iori created a surreal moment in which they felt like yesterday's events.

"Omg, aren't you Gaku's sister?"

I glanced at the brown-haired girl who had spoken, worried about attracting attention. Nobody seemed to have noticed the girl's question. Standing next to her was a younger girl looking to be the age of seven or eight.

A smile graced my face as I held a finger to my lips. The two immediately nodded before we walked away with Iori managing to slide an arm around my waist.

"Hey-"
"I don't like this. Your face must've been broadcasted everywhere. There's all sorts of weird people staring at you," he exclaimed.
"Are you...jealous?"
"*blush* Of course not."
"You're a terrible liar."
"W-who said I was lying?"
"Heh, you're blushing."

His lips suddenly grazed my cheek as his breath tickled my ear, his mouth barely touching my skin.

"I think you're the one that's blushing," he whispered.

A blush had travelled up my cheeks. I turned away from his triumphant gaze, stepping out of his safe hold. My feet began moving down a less crowded street before he caught up to my side.

Recognition flashed in my eyes as a lone figure walked the opposite way, his head hung low despite the usual confidence he usually held. I called out his name, startling him from his thoughts.

"(Y/n)?"
"Maru, you look down. Something wrong?"
"Nah, father's just mad. Apparently someone messed with the stocks and he's...well, he's taking his anger out on me," he replied as if it was no big deal.
"Oh..."
"Are you on a date?" he asked, his eyes briefly glancing towards Iori.
"Yep, although it was kinda last minute."
"I see...have fun."
"...everyone's at Trigger's dorms. You can go there instead of moping around like an outcast."

He hesitated, his mouth opening and closing as if considering the offer. A charismatic smile tugged at my mouth as I crossed my arms and skilfully eased him into accepting.

Alluringly persuading the male, he soon acquiesced. A smile finally appeared on his face as he ran his fingers through his hair. An innocent smile overtook the dangerous glint in my eyes, erasing all traces of subtle manipulation.

"Geez, you're unbelievable," he muttered.
"Go make some real friends."
"Oi, Iori was it? Don't betray her. It won't end well if you do."

With that, he left us alone. I felt a sudden tug on my arm, leading me towards a cosy restaurant tucked away in the corner. Iori turned to face me, stealing a quick kiss before entering the building.

"Ne Iori?"
"Yeah?" he asked.
"I love you."

His face flushed a bright red as he turned and hurried to find a table. I quickly caught up to him before he suddenly turned, pulling me in by the waist, his mouth twisted into a smirk. He slowly leaned in, whispering words only meant for me to hear.

"Don't think you're getting away tonight."