Chapter 81

(Y/n)'s POV

A few days had passed since the event. Maru had offered drinks to me all night long yet I had only felt a little tipsy. It was a different story for him though.

Ryuu had to carry him back to his limo, where his butler was waiting patiently for his somewhat drunk master. Despite that, he had stayed with me, never once venturing more than a few paces away.

The loud crash of equipment dropping to the ground woke me from my reminiscence as we all turned to look at the commotion. Someone had dropped a box of folders to the far right of the office.

"Sorry, I'll clean it up right away!"

Some others offered to help before I turned back to my work. Whilst Tsumugi made arrangements for IDOLiSH7's next big project, I was left finalising the details for their charity concert for children this afternoon.

I stretched my arms, wanting to take a rest from the countless hours I had spent cooped up on a stiff chair. Tsumugi happily agreed to my request as I made a gesture for lunch.

"Should we invite the others?" she asked tentatively.
"Hmm...go ahead. Not like I care."
"A-alright. I'll still um be here if you need anything."

She squeezed my hand and headed to the practice room. I'd be here if anything got uncomfortable. A smile played on my lips as her kind words settled in. I would have to do something for her one day.

Not longer than a few minutes later, everyone was walking out of the elevator. Most ignored me or shared anxious looks, with Yamato being the only one bold enough to give me a smile, even if half-forced.

I almost returned the gesture but decided to duck my head and walk out before the rest of them. Nobody neared me, like how prey would stay away from predators as if they oozed an ominous odour.

"Where are we eating?" I heard Riku ask.
"I want yakisoba," Tamaki immediately exclaimed.
"We had that the other day," said Mitsuki.
"How about pasta?" Tsumugi suggested.
"Oohh, pasta sounds great! Let's go!" Nagi replied.

I realised that I was still at the front, a few paces ahead. Subtly glancing behind, I noticed that they were all following me, whether intentional or not. Was I supposed to lead them to an Italian restaurant?

An imperceptible sigh escaped my mouth. We crossed the road and ventured into the busy streets filled with small shops and popular restaurants. I spotted our destination a few blocks away and made my way there.

"Is this it?" Sogo asked.

It took me a moment to realise that the question was directed at me.

"Yeah, not sure if it's good though. I've never been."
"Alright, let's head inside," said Tsumugi.

~Timeskip to the concert~

The members of IDOLiSH7 were currently getting their hair styled. The children in the crowd smiled and chatted excitedly amongst themselves, bringing a small smile to my face.

They'd be able to make people smile. They'd be able to heal sadness. They'd be able to make it to the top. Even now, not once had I doubted this: their ability to rise up.

"It's rare to see you smile genuinely," commented Iori.
"It's rare for you to talk to me without Naomi."
"Are you really going to act like that?"
"Act like what? This is who I really am, sweetheart."
"You're..."
"It's time for you to go on stage. Show them everything you've got."

His eyes widened before his back was turned on me. I watched as the seven of them appeared on stage, the euphoric screams of the children sending my heart roaring.

The first song was 'Mr Affection', undoubtedly a favourite with their fans. I watched their cheerful expressions, their upbeat dancing. I watched the children sing along, I watched them cheer. Goosebumps rose on my skin.

This was what a concert was supposed to feel like...just like Trigger's. Theirs emitted a different feeling but both were ethereally surreal. I couldn't help but smile.

An hour had passed and the concert was drawing to a close. Tsumugi beamed at me as the audience clapped vigorously. After this, there would be a short fanmeet, or perhaps it would feel like playtime for the kids.

"Nee-chan, I wanna see them!" exclaimed a young girl.
"Me too!" added another.
"Alright, you'll see them soon."

The children swarmed around Tsumugi and I, seeming to have made the connection that we were 'special backstage people' due to our name tags.

No one's POV

IDOLiSH7 watched as (Y/n) and Tsumugi played with the kids, all warm smiles and sweet hugs. (Y/n) picked up a boy two or three years younger than the rest, leading the group to the designated fanmeet area while Tsumugi stayed at the back.

Iori's heart constricted. He had forgotten how happy she could be, how...carefree everything had been before. She spun the boy around, laughing as others began demanding that she do it for them too.

"I wish everything could be back to how it was before," Riku said softly.
"I think we all do," Iori replied.
"Come on, guys. We just have to get through this," Mitsuki exclaimed quietly.

Tsumugi's gaze landed on the boys, worry etched across her features. She knew of their lingering attachment to her friend. She knew that deep down, (Y/n) also wanted to realign their friendship.

"Alright little people, who wants king pudding?" Tamaki asked excitedly.

The others sweatdropped upon seeing his enthusiasm for the snack. The children all yelled 'Me! Me!' as a few staff members brought out a fridge.

"That can't be what I think it is..." said Yamato.
"I think it is," Sogo replied.
"Oh, the love he has for children!" Nagi said.
"No, I think he just wants to feast on king pudding," Mitsuki commented.

Tamaki hurriedly swung the door open and inside were rows upon rows of king puddings. The other members sighed before joining him with the children.

(Y/n) quietly slipped towards the staff meeting area, choosing to watch from afar. She remained alone again. She was alone...yet the sight of them smiling happily with the kids warmed her heart. She felt happy, even if that happiness was brief.