Chapter 77

Iori's POV

Riku met my tired eyes as I exited the bathroom while drying my hair with the towel. He opened and closed his mouth yet no words came out. (Y/n)'s shocking betrayal had left us all numb and exhausted. I could barely even hold myself upright.

"The bathroom's free if that's what you're wondering."
"No- I mean, yes! Uh...sorry, I'll just...go," he stuttered.

I knew that he wasn't waiting for the shower. I knew that he wanted to talk but didn't know how to start. Yet I...still pushed him away, like how I pushed everyone else away. How I pushed Naomi away...

The door to my bedroom shut behind me before warmth exploded from my eyes. Sharp, stingy tears made their way down my cheeks as I tenderly reached up and touched them to make sure they were real.

My legs finally gave way as I collapsed against the wall and held my head in my hands. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to break everything in sight.

Were we really just props to her? Did we honestly mean nothing at all? I couldn't believe it, I wouldn't believe it. After all, I...loved her. An onslaught of tears slid down my face.

"Iori, you in there?" niisan asked.

He opened the door before shutting it as soon as he saw the state I was in. A frown rested upon his lips as he walked over and plopped down next to me.

"This is the first time I've seen you so stressed out," he commented.

I had nothing to say back to him.

"Do you still believe that she's lying? Or was it really..." he trailed off.
"...I don't know. I don't know anymore."

(Y/n)'s POV

~A few days later~

Anesagi argued with the director as we stood by to watch, waiting for the both of them to come to a final decision. The schedules were mismatched and so was the theme.

The occasional staff came to ask for Trigger's signature but under these circumstances, I couldn't allow them. Many shot me furious glares and aggressive words but I paid them no mind.

"Are you going to be okay?" Gaku-nii asked.
"That's like the third time you've asked me today, and my answer hasn't changed."
"I know, I'm just worried."
"Want me to drive you there?" Ryuu added.
"*sigh* I'll be alright."

And so, the day passed with their subtle gestures of making sure I was in my greatest condition. My mind only grew worse with the passing of time. However, I carried on without a hitch and quietly performed the little tasks Anesagi had given me.

With nothing but my own willpower leading me on, I waved goodbye to the three currently having an interview before heading out. The cool air hit my face as I stepped outside and made my way to the bus stop.

There were very few people inside my bus, which relieved some of the stress on my mind. Time flickered by in a flash as the bus came to a stop at the station I needed to get off at.

A road worker also got off here and headed into Takanashi Productions. I ignored the strange man as I moved across the ground floor to the elevators. He followed without a word and waited as the elevator took us up.

I cautiously walked out, as did he. My heart rate increased. My body tensed. I opened the door to their practice room before the man made a move and grabbed my arm.

He immediately cursed at me as I flipped him over and roughly put him to the ground. His legs made way to trip me before I dodged his attack. He dislodged a gun from beneath his shirt.

I hurriedly kicked the firearm out of his hand before turning the safety off and aiming it at his head. He had already pulled out another and thus, we were aiming for each other's lives.

"Put the gun down."
"Do you even know how to aim, missy? That thing ain't no joke," he replied.
"I find it very difficult to miss from such a close distance."
"I'm not here for you. Stop wasting my time and hand him over."

He cocked his head toward Tamaki. Everyone was frozen in place, afraid to provoke the dangerous man. I sported a charismatic grin and made a shot by his feet. He yelped and jumped back in fear.

"Oops, my hand must've slipped. Next time, I won't miss."
"You would put yourself in danger? Rather bold of you," he hissed.
"It's my responsibility to look after them. Read the job description. I'd much rather you back off. You don't seem to have even used a gun before. I'll let you go this time. I won't report you if you leave."
"Huh? What-"
"It's simple really. I fired a shot. Illegal use of firearms. I don't want to be fined. Leave quietly and nobody gets hurt."
"But he ignored my daughter! My poor daughter..."

I glared at the man. He pulled the trigger as the bullet grazed my arm and damaged the wall behind me. I dropped the gun before he hurriedly made to grab it and ran out of the room upon seeing the cruel look in my eyes.

My hand immediately moved up to stop the bleeding. That was when I became aware of everyone's frozen stares. Taking a deep gulp, I fashioned the same nonchalantly indifferent look and approached Tsumugi.

"I'll go get myself treated. I'm sorry to have caused such a disturbance. I'll be back soon."
"Y-yeah, that's fine," she replied as if just having caught her breath.

I exited the room and headed to the end of the hallway. I collapsed as my legs turned to the consistency of jelly. My body trembled uncontrollably as I stared at my hands.

I...could've shot him. I would've become a murderer if he died. I even considered shooting him if he dared make a move...but whether it was for my sake or Tamaki's, I couldn't tell.

A shadow appeared to my right before Iori rounded the corner and spotted me in a heap on the floor. He handed me his jacket, his eyes portraying nothing that might've hinted towards his emotions.

"I'm fine. I don't need your assistance."

I stood up and turned my back on the male. He took this chance to drape his jacket over my shoulders. My heart began to ache even more so than the wound on my arm as the familiar waft of his cologne engulfed me.

"Consider it as my way of paying you back for helping us, even if it was for your own interest. I'm not doing this out of kindness," he replied stoically.
"...of course. I didn't expect anything else. After all, you wouldn't want to be indebted to a person responsible for betraying your trust."