Chapter One: First Day Back

*EDITED*

"CASSIE!" Abi yelled up the stairs with such a force I was worried an earthquake might break out from underneath me. She'd been at me like this for the past half hour. "WOULD YOU HURRY UP, WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!"

"IM NEARLY DONE!" I shouted back, my toothbrush hanging in the crook on my jaw, frothy toothpaste dribbling down the side of my mouth and onto my freshly washed chin. Great! Now I would have a sticky, snail trail on my face for the rest of the day.

I spat out the contents into the sink, took a gulp of water before gargling and spitting it back out, then finally I popped my toothbrush into the holder and thundered down the stairs.

Half running into the kitchen where my twin siblings waited, I grabbed my black school bag and flung it over my shoulder before looking at the clock above the oven.

We still had another five minutes before we had to leave!

"Abi!" I groaned, looking at my little sister in annoyance. She just shrugged her tiny shoulders and I soon dropped the glare. It was hard to be irritated with her for long. It were as if those loose, shimmering blonde locks she had for hair had an aura of their own and simply prevented anyone to be angry with her. She was like my mother in that way.

"Cassie, you look nice this morning," Harry said, smiling at me. I returned the grin.

"Thanks H," I replied, moving over to my brother. His face was bright and alert yet tranquil. I ruffled his soft, shaggy mane causing his to squirm under my touch. "You don't look too bad yourself,"

He only scowled, dark brown eyes glaring at me. "Cassie! You messed up my gel work,"

I rolled my eyes. He knew just as well I did that he didn't need 'gel work' or any kind of product to make himself look good. Beauty just came naturally to both of the twins. Their golden hair was always soft and bouncy, and their teeth sparkling white. Anyone who looked at them would be held prisoner by their gorgeous, melting chocolate eyes which were framed by thick black lashes. I still get transfixed by their glorious orbs sometimes. Although they were both passed the stage of puberty, neither of them had any ache or spots, and Abi hardly ever wore makeup other than lipstick or gloss. Both of them were similar in looks but over the summer Abi had popped out some curves and Harry's need for exercise had pronounced and toned his muscles. This had made them appear less a like in body proportion but still obviously twins. Now my siblings looked like they had grown into their own gender and accepted Mother Nature's offer generously.

"You trying to impress the girls?" I teased my voice mimicking a young child's, whilst squishing his cheeks making them chubby. His eyes glowed furiously, so I reluctantly let go receiving an unimpressed gaze from Abi. She giggled anyway and soon she was picking up her acid wash, denim back pack and sliding an arm through each loop. Harry did the same.

"Come on you too." I said, pulling on Abi's hand taking her palm in mine. "It's be a shame to miss the bus when you woke up all the neighbours reminding me not to." I chuckled, walking out the door and strolling up the long, driveway which was littered with blanched, yellow early September leaves. Harry finally dropped the murderous glare he kept shooting me and followed us up to the bus stop.

The air was cool already, and I could feel the breeze of autumn following around me. It was only the beginning of September but already I felt the need to wear a thin scarf and a sweater. English weather - typical.

Leaves gracefully fell from the trees and turned crispy and dark on the edges, like burnt toast. They caught the colour from the warm, morning sun rays and dew glistened on the lush grass. Even though it was usually cold, windy and often rained, autumn was my favourite season and time of year.