Chapter 2: Bookstore

-2018-

'Once Upon a Book' was Georgia's dream which came true. It was opened in 2016. But the bookstore wasn't only hers. She owned it together with her classmate and best friend during her study at Goethe-Universität, Mariska Wiesinger, from Austria.

Gia had moved to Vienna with her mother. Gilbert got married in 2012 and lived in Berlin afterwards. Unfortunately, Ludwig had passed away because of a car accident in 2015. Losing her father was the hardest thing she had to face. Because of that, she promised herself that she would protect her mother as much as she could.

She had actually lost two important men in her life. Her father and also Sebastian. Since he moved to Switzerland, she barely heard anything from him. If she met his parents, they could only say that he was very busy and he couldn't come to Germany very often.

Gia didn't even have his new phone number as his parents refused to give it to her. But at least, she was happy that he finally reached his dream to become a Formula 1 driver. She knew that he had been a 4-time champion of the world. But, she wasn't really into F1, so she didn't follow his career there.

She suddenly felt someone touching her shoulder. "I can't believe that it's been two years since we opened this store," Mariska said.

"Yeah, you're right. I also can't believe that I have a friend who shares the same passion in literature and has the same dream as me to build a bookstore," Gia replied happily.

"Your dad would've been so proud of you."

Her eyes were a little teary every time someone mentioned her father. "I hope so. Thanks for everything, Mariska."

"Anytime, gorgeous," Mariska gave her a wide smile.

Although they both were the owners, and they had the employees who worked for them there, but they came there every day. They always greeted and talked to the customers.

As Gia had planned when she was child, the concept of their bookstore was like a library as well. People who came there didn't only buy, but they could also read or borrow the displayed books. There was also a coffee shop on the corner of the bookstore. So, people there could read a book while drinking a cup of coffee.

"It's almost lunch time," she announced.

Gia checked on her watch and she agreed. "Yes, Mariska. What do you want to eat?"

"Hmm, I want an Italian food."

"Sure."

They went to their office room first to take their bags before they left the bookstore. Then, they walked to an Italian restaurant which was only 5 minutes away.

There, they were welcomed by a waitress who led them to an empty table with two chairs for them. Gia chose margherita pizza for her dish, while Mariska preferred mushroom risotto. They also wanted tiramisu cakes as the dessert.

They had some conversations while waiting for their foods to arrive. Some minutes after, the waitress came to bring the foods they ordered. They thanked her before she left.

"Gia?"

She looked at her while chewing her pizza. "Hmm?"

"You are eating margherita pizza, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"I've just remembered a story that Tobi told me. His favourite driver in Formula 1 always gives a female name for his car. And two years ago, Margherita was the name that he chose. But he denied that it was inspired by the pizza that you eat."

Mariska laughed while telling Gia the story from her boyfriend. But, her friend suddenly choked and hurriedly drank her water. "Oh my God, Gia! Are you okay?"

Mariska gave Gia some tissues for her to wipe her mouth. "I'm fine, don't worry." She wiped it gently right after she assured her that she was okay. "That's a funny story. The part where you said that he denied that it was inspired by pizza, because every time I hear margherita, my mind always comes to this tasty pizza."

Mariska laughed. "Me too, Gia! But he really denied it."

Gia's mind went distracted every time she heard someone mention Formula 1. She suddenly remembered her childhood friend who had been becoming an F1 driver. The same person who never got in touch with her after he moved.

She was wondering who Mariska talked about. But she had no courage to ask about that. Also, she never told her about the name of the F1 driver who became her boyfriend's favourite because she knew that she didn't follow the sport.

They finally finished their lunch, but they hadn't eaten their dessert. Before they started eating the cake, Mariska's phone rang. She got a message from Tobias. She closed her mouth with her palm as she read the message. Gia was wondering what message that her friend had just got.

"Is there something interesting, Mariska?"

Mariska sent her reply before she answered, "Of course! I've just got an amazing news! Tobi just told me that he has bought the Austrian GP tickets!"

"Really? Oh, I'm so happy for you!"

"Not only that," Mariska smirked. "You are also invited."

Her eyes almost popped out. "What? What do you mean?"

"Gia, Tobi just told me that I should tell you now. We have a birthday gift for you. We-"

"But my birthday is July 5th," Gia was getting more confused.

"Let me continue. Yes, we definitely know your birthdate. We've been your friends for years, in case you forget it. Anyway, we give you 3-day tickets to watch the Austrian GP as it will be held from June 29th to July 1st. It's so close to your birthday."

"But Mariska, I don't follow Formula 1. Beside that, F1 tickets are very expensive, I guess."

"You don't have to think about the price. And yeah, I know that you don't follow F1. I don't really follow it either. I just know some things about F1 from him. But, we want to experience this moment with you, watching F1 together. Do you mind with that?"

Gia shook her head. "No, of course I don't mind. Thank you very much, Mariska! I will text Tobi to thank him as well."

"With pleasure. Tobi would love to hear it from you," Mariska gave her a smile.

For Mariska, Gia was more than just a friend. She was like a sister to her. She remembered how she helped her a lot when she almost lost her motivation during their study. Gia also helped her when she had an argument with her boyfriend. She always asked her to calm down and solve the problem with a cool head. She was definitely a good listener.

Sometimes, Mariska wondered why Gia had never been in a relationship. She was quite close with one of their classmates during their study in 2008. But, she didn't show any sign that she wanted her relationship with him go further.

"By the way, where is it held?" Gia asked.

"The race is held at the Red Bull Ring, in Spielberg."

"What will we use? A car or a train?"

"I don't know, I should ask Tobi first. But it seems like he wants to drive."

Gia nodded. "Hmm, okay. I should tell this to my mom first."

"You should. Actually, Tobi and I are also planning to come to your house. We also have to ask your mom for permission to bring you there. Because if you go with us, it means that she'll be alone."

"That's good. Just inform me when you both will come."

"I will. Now, let's eat the cake!"

Gia felt so thankful to have Mariska as her best friend. She didn't expect that she and Tobias would give her an amazing present for her birthday. Although she couldn't deny that she was quite nervous because it was very possible for her to meet Seb for the first time after 12 years, but she wanted to enjoy the moment there with the couple who had been dating for almost 5 years.