Chapter 24: Confusion

Seb ended the first half of the 2018 season with finishing the Hungarian GP race on second place. While his main rival, Lewis, won the race. The race result made him lead the drivers' championship standing with a 24-point lead over Seb.

He still had the chance to win the WDC title. But he knew that there were still so many tasks to do with his team. But the whole team, including himself, needed a break for around two weeks before they started focusing on to the next half of the season. He would use his time that he had to return to Vienna. But the problem was that Bernadette had been home. He had to find an excuse to go to Austria alone.

Second day of summer break. His relationship with Bernadette had improved since he went home from Hungary. Seb was choosing a movie on Netflix that he wanted to watch when she was at the kitchen as she was making popcorn. She had left her phone on the table at the living room. She put it next to his.

When Seb had chosen the movie he wanted to watch, Bernadette's phone rang. He saw the caller ID on the screen. "Bernadette!" he called her.

"Yes, Seb?"

"Someone is calling you," he told her.

Bernadette ran a little from the kitchen. Then, she took her phone and went back to the kitchen to pick up her phone. Then, Seb focused back to the screen. He only knew some of her friends. But he didn't know the person who was calling her.

Some minutes after, Bernadette went back to the living room. She was bringing the popcorn she made. She put it on the table and then she took her seat next to Seb.

"Who's that?"

"Oh, that is one of the models."

Seb frowned. "A model?"

"Yes. I'm sorry that I haven't told you, Seb, but this weekend there will be a fashion show in Amsterdam. I'm one of the fashion designers who will show my winter collection off."

"When will you go there?"

"I'll go there on Thursday, as I have to prepare everything. The fashion show itself will be held on Saturday and Sunday."

"Then, why did your model phone you?"

Bernadette was suddenly quite nervous, but Seb didn't really pay attention to her. "He... he just wants to make sure that he is included into the list of models who will show my collection off."

"Ah, okay."

An opportunity didn't knock twice. With Bernadette planning to go to Amsterdam, it meant that he had a chance to go to Vienna. He thought that he wouldn't miss the chance.

---

Just before Seb came into his shared bedroom to sleep, he made sure that the door of his house had been locked. He also turned some lights off that didn't need to be on. Then, he climbed the stairs to enter his room. When he arrived, the door was slightly open. Bernadette had been there. He heard that she was talking to someone by phone, but he couldn't hear it clearly.

And what made Seb curious, it seemed like Bernadette took the call secretly. He was feeling that there was something that she hid from him. When she realized that he was entering the room, she immediately said goodbye to the person she was talking to and hung up the phone.

"Seb, have you locked the door?"

"I have." Then, Seb sat down next to her on their bed. "Who did you talk to?"

"Oh, that's one of the committees for the fashion show in Amsterdam."

"Did you have to get that phone in the night?"