Chapter Seven

In the morning Karen had got up first and started making pancakes for breakfast, she had even put on a fresh pot of coffee and set the  table. Next  she  made up some fresh orange juice for Skyanne, then went to the pantry cupboard and dug out the  pinic basket and placed it on top of the kitchen bench just as Luke walked in.

" Good morning, beautiful day isn't it? Whats with the pinic basket Karen? " Luke asked as he took a seat at the end of the table.

" Yes it definitely is  and  seeeing it's  such a beautiful day,  I thought maybe we could pack up a picnic lunch and head down to the beach for the day. What do you guys reckon. . . . good idea? " Karen asked.

" You  know what,  that isn't a bad idea at all. What do you reckon  Sally-Ann? " Luke asked.

" I  can't see why not. We can give Skyanne a grand tour of where we use to hangout as kids, " Sally-Ann said grabbing herself a cup of coffee and some  pancakes  as she took a seat next to her daughter.
" Great, than it's all settled!  We're going to the beach," Karen  smiled.

Not long after they had finished there breakfast, Karen finished packing the pinic basket and Sally-Ann trudged of to pack her  beach bag and change  into her togs.

Within 5 minutes, they loaded everything into the car and were soon heading to the main beach. With the radio playing, they sang along to Neil Diamond's " Sweet Caroline ", just enjoying the  drive.  Skyanne was  sitting back taking  in the  veiw while singing at the top of her little lungs, "  Yay, we're going to  the beach, we're going to  the beanch. I'm going to  build me  a sandcastle  that reaches the  sky, just you wait and see, it will be a beauty!"
" Now  that's the spirt right  there," Karen  laughed.

Twenty minutes later Luke pulled the  car into a parking bay , grabbed the pinic basket out of the backof the car  and  they all headed down to the beach front.

" We're here. . . . Welcome to Reitman Bay's beachfront. Believe it or not Skyanne, this is one of the main places your mother, father, Aunty Karen and myself use to hang out alot as teenagers. See that big house up on the hill over there with the bright red roof. Your  mother use to live there as a young girl. I remember the day really  well  when she first  arrived here in Reitman Bay. She was about 10 yrs old at the time. Your mother  rocked up in town in this big  old  fancy truck  with her Aunt Maggie. A shy quite little girl with long blonde pigtails and the most cutest smile I've ever seen. At the time, I was living across the street, so naturally I walked over to introduce myself and we became really good friends straight away, " Luke told  Skyanne.  " Up the road a bit,  Karen  lived," Luke added.

" We didn't meet straight away, it was about 2 weeks later when we meet, " Sally-Ann said.

" Yes it was and if I remember correctly, your mother was riding this little pink bike up and down the street and she wasn't really paying attention to what she was doing and she literally ran smack bam-boo straight into me. You should have seen the look on her face.... it was PRICELESS! Karen  bursted out laughing at the memory. " Your mother didn't know what to do or think, so she just got on her little pink bike and rode home. Two days later we actually meet and have been best of friends  ever since. Your mother meet your father 2 mths later, but didn't date till she was 12 yrs old. " Karen added.

" Those were the days, I never had so much fun, " Luke said  smiling  as he thought  back to when they were teenagers running along the beach without a care in the world.  " We will set out to make new memories together... how's  that sound to you Skyanne? " Luke added.
" It sounds cool Uncle Luke," Skyanne smiled back at him.