Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

I sprawled out on my bed, putting my feet up on the wall and hanging my head over the edge. I'd looked at Jared's number that was now in my phone a thousand times debating whether I should text him or not. I had no real reason to. In fact, there were probably tons of reasons I shouldn't. What if he was a mass murderer? What if he was really obnoxious?

I think I was more worried about the possibility of him being obnoxious. I could handle a killer. I took down supernaturals on a regular basis. But if I went out with him, I would have to talk. I didn't know how to talk to new people, and there was so much that I'd have to keep from him. It was easier getting together with other hunters. We talked about recent jobs, close calls, wild experiences. What did you talk about with a regular person though? The weather?

I chewed on my nails and sighed as I reached my hand up to pick up my phone. I opened up a new text message and typed until Jared's name popped up.

When do you want to do this thing?

I hesitated with my finger over the send button. Shutting my eyes tight and taking a deep breath, I tapped the screen. The message went out and through the satellite and would be sitting on Jared's screen. It was out of my hands now. I continued biting my nails as I waited for his reply.

I didn't have to wait long. Jared's reply was almost immediate, as if he knew I was going to text him. Was I being too predictable? Maybe I should have waited. Maybe I shouldn't have texted at all. I smacked my forehead and chastised myself. When I'd build up the nerve, I opened the message.

How about tonight?

Tonight? Well, I didn't really have any plans. My dad hadn't told me about any jobs, and I wasn't sure I was ready for another one after last night.

All right, pick me up at six thirty.

So you're taking me out but I have to pick you up? His reply was immediate once again.

I rolled my eyes and smiled at the phone remembering how he said I could make it up to him.

Unless you'd like my dad to chaperone the outing.

Fair enough, I'll be there at six thirty.

I sent him my address, not bothering to overthink the decision. Looking at the clock, I had to decide what to do for the next two and a half hours. I still had some homework to finish and I knew my dad was going to be home soon. I just decided to work on the homework until I had to deal with him. I had no idea what he would say about this. I never went out with guys, at least not since Ian. Even then we didn't really go out much.

Just as I was finishing up, I heard the back door open and I hopped off the bed. It was time for the moment of truth. I wondered if I should arm myself for this conversation. Hopefully there would be no blood drawn, but I was concerned.

I padded out to the living room, finding my dad about to take a seat in his chair.

"Hey Dad," I said leaning on the coffee table next to him. Best to try the chill approach.

"Electra, how was your day?"

"Interesting. We had a new student." Ease in while being direct. This was a good option. I hoped.

"Oh really, what was this new student like?" He asked looking at the newspaper. I could tell he was asking out of obligation, not curiosity.

"Well, he was different, that's for sure. He seems really nice, and well, I'm kind of going out with him tonight."