(REQUEST) daniel d'arby x reader

title: the whims of fate

requested by @NachoBlader
thank you for 21k!!

     You liked to think of yourself as a 'professional gambler'. It wasn't the most admirable title in the world, but you were proud of it in your own special way.

     You'd travelled the seven seas and the seven continents, competing against other people who claimed to be as amazing as you. In other words, you were practically world-famous.

     Women wanted to be you. Men wanted to be with you. You literally had it all.

Except competition. Every person you'd ever gambled with always ended up losing to you, and the art of betting was slowly becoming boring and less fun by the day.

All you wanted these days was someone to come by and make you struggle. Not in a weird way, of course, but competitively. You wanted someone to make you sweat in fear of what their next move was, and someone who was completely unpredictable.

     You wanted competition. Well - that was, until Daniel D'Arby came along.

     D'Arby wasn't young. He was significantly older than you were (perhaps... about twenty years?) and therefore had more experience. His moves came from his many years in the supposed spotlight as a gambler, whereas yours came from genuine luck and natural talent.

——

It was a Saturday in Las Vegas. You'd come all the way from your home country for some big competition here, knowing full well you'd probably come out victorious. As it was hot outside, you could wear the shortest dress ever and nobody would care. And so, you were currently wearing a black dress with a slit on the leg and a large slit in the back too. There was a smaller slit in the front, because you were feeling a bit more adventurous today.

Why were you feeling adventurous, you ask?

You'd heard that the famous Daniel D'Arby was coming to town. You wouldn't have come to this competition if it weren't for him.

Upon arriving at the casino, you were bombarded with different cameras and weird men looking for either comments from you or just plain old dirty things. Of course, you weren't interested, and your mind was set on seeing this D'Arby yourself.

You'd arrived fashionably late. D'Arby was waiting for you at one of the large and intricately designed tables. It was a poker table, and he looked as though he'd waited for you to arrive before putting the cards out.

Nice of him to try and make you believe he wasn't cheating.

The Lucky Dragon was one of the most popular casinos in the city. The ceiling was lit up with modern red and white lights, and there was a long spiral that was meant to be a dragon in the centre of the room. D'Arby was sat at one of the tables in the middle of the room, surrounded by scantily clad women and fashionable men who craved his attention and cameras, much like you were.

Once he noticed you, he smirked, and tapped the table patiently. When you sat down, he leaned back and looked you up and down. His smirk was still permanently on his face. "Good evening, Miss (last name)," he said, his eyes remaining on your dress for a bit too long. "It's nice to meet you."