(REQUEST) doppio x reader

title: nightmare

requested by @ORAORA-

"My sweet, sweet Doppio..."

Doppio had woken up in a cold sweat, panting and shaking as though he had some sort of illness. However, he knew that wasn't the case; the nightmares he'd been having for almost a week straight had been plaguing him, and the fact that they've been preventing him from getting sufficient hours of sleep made them all the more worse. And he felt bad for waking you up, so he had nothing to do but sit there in silence, trying to recollect himself.

He sighed. He knew you wouldn't be angry at him, as you were the complete opposite of angry. But he always felt bad when you'd get up and comfort him, and he had the feeling that you secretly hated him for having those stupid nightmares.

     Propping himself up on his elbows, Doppio stared out of the window opposite the bed you and him shared. He couldn't see the moon, so that obviously meant that it was still high in the sky, meaning that there were quite a few hours left of the night until the sun rose. Unless Doppio could fall back asleep, he'd be up for a very long time... and boss wouldn't like that at-

     No, Doppio scolded himself, don't talk of the boss again. There is no boss. I am the boss of myself.

     Although he told himself that he was in charge, he couldn't help but let his thoughts and emotions take complete control over him. Questions like, what if she secretly hates you? What if she doesn't like being by your side? What if she thinks you're weird? What if she doesn't like helping you? circled his mind, and once they'd began, Doppio couldn't stop them, and he had no choice but to tough them out until they stopped.

     His elbows gave in and Doppio fell back to the bed, his head hitting the headboard violently. Either he'd given himself a concussion, or the thud was enough to snap him out of his panicked state. Looking down, however, he found that neither of those were the case.

     Your arm was draped over his waist, and your hand was rubbing gentle circles into his side. Soon enough, your leg had found its way to his legs, and then half of your body had been hoisted over him. You'd sleepily positioned yourself so that he couldn't get up and do anything to make his nightmares worse.

     "(Name)?" He questioned, his voice quiet as you mightn't be asleep. There was no response, so Doppio loosened. His hands rose from the bed to curl around you, his head resting in the crook of your neck. It was then that a few tears began to leak from his eyes and a few had landed on your shoulders. He gasped, afraid that you'd wake up, but the tears didn't seem to want to stop.

     You'd woken up, and the first thing you'd spotted was a sobbing Doppio in front of you.

     Your hands moved to wipe his tears away, but more kept coming. "Oh, Doppio," you whispered, knowing exactly why he was crying. "It's all going to be ok. He's gone now, and nothing can-"

     "It's not that, (name)," his voice wavered and broke as he spoke, "it's not the boss any more."

     "Then what is it?"

     He choked back a sob. "It's you."

     You were quiet for a bit before raising an eyebrow. "Why me?"

     "Because.. be... because," he hiccuped, "because you don't want to help me, do you? You think that my nightmares are stupid and that I'm just a little kid, don't you?"

     "Doppio, I'd never think that! Why do you say such things?"

     Doppio sniffed. "My thoughts run wild sometimes, I guess." His sniffs and sobs had ceased but his worries didn't. The way you were looking at him made everything worse. The genuinely concerned look in your eyes made him feel guilty of accusing you of such things. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be blaming you for my own problems." Doppio's hands rested on your hips and his eyes looked sadly out of the window again. The sun had just about started to rise, and, if he was quick enough, he could get you both up to see it. After all, watching the sunrise had become somewhat of a daily routine whenever Doppio had his recurring nightmares.

     "Ah, (name), look!" A hint of a smile appeared on his face. "The sun, it's rising."

     You looked up and softly smiled, moving your legs and arms and getting up. Doppio followed, and soon you were both leaning on the open window, silently watching the sunrise. The sky had almost turned as pink as his hair and there were hints of orange and purple that made it all look like one big Bob Ross painting. The cool breeze was soothing and it made Doppio completely forget about the night's shenanigans.

     Doppio sighed. "I'm so lucky to have you."

     "I'll always help you, Doppio - it's all I can do after all you've done for me." Tenderly, you gazed up at the peaceful look on his face, and failed to realise that he too was staring at you.

     "Wait, what have I done for you?" He snapped out of his trance. "All I've done is cry and come to you for help. I haven't done anything for you."

     You laughed quietly. "You've stood here with me, and that's all I need. I don't care about anything else."

it's a tad bit short, but i'm a bit stumped for ideas :(
i've got so many requests...