Chapter 1: That One Moment

GABRIELLE'S POV

  You said one thing. You did one thing wrong, and it was like you were Satan trying to break everyone you could. I guess I understood. What I did was wrong, but was I not a human being? Did that get lost in the mail somewhere? Did I forget to write it down? When I signed on to be a singer, did that automatically give everyone the impression that I was perfect? How long was I supposed to be "perfect" for and did I miss that when I signed my contract? Apparently, I did.
  You would think after the paparazzi constantly getting the worst pictures of me, my so-called fans embracing the lies about me, even my "friends" bouncing the first chance they got, that my manager would understand or offer me some sort of motivational speech. I knew what most people thought about that moment of receiving advice, but I loved my feel of motivational speeches. However, my manager was currently yelling at me for that "one thing" I was talking about earlier.

  She yelled,"GABRIELLE, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? YOU HAVE TWO DAYS UNTIL YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GO ON YOUR BIGGEST TOUR YET, AND NOW, THERE WON'T BE ANY TOUR! EXPLAIN THIS!"

  I chose to remain strong and said,"I guess I just snapped. It wasn't on purpose. I know this will-"

  She rudely cut me off with,"NO, YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! I KNEW IT WAS A MISTAKE MANAGING YOU!"

  I replied,"You don't mean that. You decided to be my manager because you saw something in me. You thought I would dominate in the music industry."

  She chuckled and shook her head saying,"No, I decided to be your manager because there was a need for black singers that were women, and you were the only one that was left. You were the bottom of the barrel, and I did what I could to make sure I had a job."

  Talk about a blow to the stomach, but why would I be surprised? Everyone has this superpower to change up around me nowadays. My manager stormed out of the back room of the studio, and I looked up from the floor to see everyone had heard everything. I had forgotten that all these big-time music producers were even in the room.

  The one I trusted most walked up to me and rested his hand on my shoulder saying,"Gabrielle, we'll continue with your single another day. For now, you go home and get some rest."

  I nodded and thanked him before I chose to keep my head up walking out to my car. Of course, the paparazzi was blocking my driver's side door, so I politely asked them to move. I mean, I had already made a mistake today that would probably be on the news by tomorrow, if it wasn't being shown already.
  If you really wanted to know what that mistake was, I was about to accept an award for my newest album and my nemesis since kindergarten was one of the presenters of the award. Instead of just giving me the award, she called me out of my name and "accidentally" tripped me. Me, remembering everything she had done to me in the past, I acted on my anger and fought her on-stage.

  Of course, no one would care about what she did or how the fight even started, because I was Gabrielle Barnes. The spotlight was in my face at the time, so everyone only cared about the fact that I was in the fight.

....

  Once I made it home, I had a great deal of difficulty going to sleep that night. However, once it seemed like I was finally able to go to sleep, my phone kept vibrating. I reached over and picked my phone up before I looked to see what was going on. Once my eyes adjusted to the bright lighting of my phone screen, Scooter Braun was calling me.