Chapter 5: Nothing Like Family

JUSTIN'S POV

  After everything Gabrielle had been through over the years, she was concerned about the effect that working together would have on my image. Sure, I had made many mistakes before today, but Gabrielle was worried more about me than herself. That was why I wanted her to know I would be there for her no matter how many people hated her right now.
  I understood that feeling, which was why I wasn't going to let Gabrielle push me away. She needed this performance, just like I needed her. I loved her, and I wanted to tell her that a long time ago, but time was tricky. It was unpredictable, which was why I didn't count just how strong Jeremiah and Gabrielle were going to be.

  I pulled my hat down and walked into the nice jewelry store. I wanted to get the perfect gift for Gabrielle. She did agree to perform with me, so I wanted to get her something I knew she would appreciate.
  After about two hours of being picky, I finally found the perfect golden necklace for Gabrielle. I walked out to my car, and I went to get in, but a little girl ran up to my car.

  Her mother ran up right behind her and held her back saying,"I'm so sorry, Justin! I told her about running up to people. You can go."

  I smiled at the woman and then down at the little girl saying,"It's all right. What's your name, sweetheart?"

  The little girl smiled up at me, and her eyes reminded me of Gabrielle's. She really reminded me of Gabrielle by her looks, yet I didn't want to seem creepy.

  The little girl said,"Amelia. Are you and Gabrielle together?"

  I was stunned by her question, but I said to Amelia,"No, we aren't. She's a very special woman, though. What do you say to a picture with me?"

  Amelia frowned hearing Gabrielle and I weren't together, but Amelia lit up when she heard about the picture part. That was weird. Was Amelia and her mother related to Gabrielle or were they just dedicated fans? After I took the picture with Amelia and her mother, they left and I headed off to my house.

   GABRIELLE'S POV

  When I made it to my mother's house, I parked in the grass. It looked like she was throwing a party, or the family was just over to visit again. I wondered whether my invitation had gotten lost in the mail, or if she was just afraid I would get mad at her. For some reason, my mother had a fear of me getting mad at her and shutting her out of my life. I did my best, always, to reassure her that neither of those things would happen. Ever.
  I locked my car and walked up to the front door. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. My little cousin, Amelia, was the one who came to the door. She was short, and she reached for the doorknob. I held back a giggle and when she finally opened the door, she ran to me and hugged my legs.

  She said,"GAB!"

  I crouched down low and said,"I'm glad to see you, too. You keep getting bigger on me. Are you throwing a party without me?"

  She giggled and shook her head. She led me inside, and the family immediately embraced me. My Uncle Marcus pushed everyone out of the way to hug me the longest.

  I chuckled and returned his hug saying,"Hi, Uncle Marcus. Did you save some food for me?"

  He said,"Nope. Girl, you have to negotiate with someone else in this house. I'm not giving you my food this time."

  I pouted and he groaned, handing me his plate. I kissed his cheek multiple times, and he smiled, before I greeted anyone else who was in the back of the house.

  Mom rushed to me and hugged me tightly saying,"My baby, you're home! You look beautiful, baby. I'm so proud of you."

  I said,"But did you see what happened the other-"

  Mom closed my mouth and said,"Gab, I've been talking with Scooter. I'm your mother. I know how much trouble that girl Vixen caused you and has caused you. Whatever you need, Gab, I'm here for you. We all are, which is why everyone is here. We're your family. Your mother always knows when her baby comes home."

  My Aunt Michelle rolled her eyes and said,"She gonna cry. She gonna cry. Oh Lord.."

  She nudged me, and I smiled embracing her.

  I pulled away from the hug and looked at everyone saying,"Thank you everyone for still being here for me. It's comforting to know my family is still behind me. I will do my best to not bring any pain to all of you from my mistake."

  I stayed over for a couple of hours before I headed home. That night, I went to bed feeling more ready to face a crowd again.