Chapter 13: Fright

GABRIELLE'S POV

  Mom motioned to Trey and Justin outside.

  She said,"Is that Trey?"

  I nodded saying,"Yeah, it is. Crazy, right? Where's my plate?"

  Mom looked around, and I chuckled saying,"All right, Mom. I get it. I have to fix my own plate."

  Amelia ran up to me and hugged my leg saying,"Gab, I wanna see your room."

  I picked up Amelia and carried her all the way to my old room. I put her down and showed her my old room. She had seen my room many times before, but I think she just liked to be in here. I don't know why, though.
  Maybe it was because of all my old dolls and stuffed animals that were in my closet. Amelia ran to my closet, and I realized it was open. Maybe Mom had been in here cleaning and left the closet open. However, Amelia ran to me and began to cry.

  I asked her,"Honey, what's wrong? Did something scare you in there?"

  Amelia didn't answer me, and she just continued to cry. She buried her face in my neck, and I held her. I sat down and tried to get her to talk to me, but she wouldn't. So, I just sat there and rocked her.
  When Amelia fell asleep, with Amelia still in my arms, I walked over to the closet. I didn't see anything, but there was a piece of paper on the floor. If this is what made her cry, did I even want to see what was on the other side of it? I had to...

  I turned the paper around, and it was a picture of Dad and Jeremiah both after they had passed. I felt sick to my stomach, yet I was also angry. I knew exactly who had done this.

  There was a knock on my door. I looked over Amelia's head and saw Justin.

  He smiled at me saying,"I couldn't find you downstairs, so your mother told me to check your room. She had to tell me where it was. Your room's cute."

  I just said,"Thanks."

  I was really trying to keep myself from throwing up.

  Justin rushed over to me and asked me,"Gab, what's the matter?"

  I just took his hand and let my tears fall. I leaned on his shoulder, and Justin held me to the best of his ability. He was trying not to wake Amelia up. 

  He said,"Gab, tell me what's got you upset. Is it Amelia?"

  I shook my head and showed him the small paper. His eyes widened, yet I could tell he was also angry. But when he looked back at me, his eyes softened.
  Justin gently took Amelia from me and led me down the stairs. Then, he gave Amelia to my aunt.

  I walked up to Mom and said,"I'm not comfortable with you being here anymore. Someone's been in this house. Either it was Vixen or someone who works for her. I need you to stay with someone else. Mom, before you-"

  Mom said,"Okay. I'll stay with your uncle and aunt."

  I was surprised Mom was going along with this, but I didn't know if I should show her the paper. I didn't want to lose her. I didn't know what seeing Dad like that would do to her either. I didn't want to take any chances.

....

  I wanted to confront Vixen so badly, but I knew she was smart. I knew she would find some way to trap me into something else.
  As I paced back and forth in front of the couch, Justin watched me. He looked like he was about to fall over any minute now, but he was very concerned about me.

  I don't blame him.

  I said,"What about Scooter? No, I don't want to get him involved. My next concert! That place that Vixen likes to go to is only a block away. Maybe I'll run into her."

  Justin caught my hand and pulled me down saying,"You're making me dizzy. What then, Gabrielle? This girl has known you since elementary school. What if she's thought of that, too?"

  I sighed and Justin rubbed my back as he said,"I'm not doubting you. I'd never doubt you. I just want you to be careful about this."

  I wrapped my arms around him saying,"I hear you, Justin. I hear you."