Chapter 17: Consequences

GABRIELLE'S POV

  I quickened my pace, not daring to look back at dad, mom, or anyone else. I had to get away from here. I had to go home and stay home. However, I realized I wouldn't even be able to make it home on foot. It was already dark out, and it was dangerous. I didn't want to end up in another fight, another fight I didn't know if I would be able to stop on my own.

  I just sat down beside Justin's car and put my head down.

  I heard someone approaching me, so I just said,"Go away. If you want to fight me, too, get in line. I'm sure you can go find people that are mad at me right now."

  "I'm not mad at you."

  Justin sat down beside me and looked over at me saying,"I'm just disappointed."

  Tears formed in my brown eyes, and I said,"When I hear you say it, it hurts a hundred times more."

  Justin just continued to look at me, and then he said,"I know it does, but you have to hear it. I won't ever lie to you. You know that. Gab, do you realize what kind of effect this is going to have on your career? Your image? I was yelling at you to stop not because I didn't think you would win, but because I was trying to protect you from experiencing similar things to what I have. I was only thinking about you and how to get you back to where you were."

  I took in what Justin had just said to me, yet I only wanted to be in his arms. However, Justin was trying to teach me some lesson, but I just wanted his comfort.

  Justin wiped my tears and said,"I'm going to take you to your father. He'll be able to comfort you better than I can."

  Justin stood up and helped me up, yet he tried to get me to walk with him.

  I fought against his strength and pleaded with him,"No! Justin, just let me stay with you! I don't want his comfort right now. I want yours! Please!"

  I began to cry, and Justin just wasn't listening to me. I held on to his car door handle, and Justin was trying to get me to let go of the door handle.

  I yelled,"JAY, NO! NO! JUSTIN! JUSTIN, JUST TAKE ME WITH YOU!"

  Justin put me down which caused me to release my grip on the door handle. Then, Justin just put me over his shoulder. Instead of putting me into the car, he carried me back towards the restaurant.
  Justin put me down and I tried to make a run for it, but he pulled me back by my waist. Justin guided me over to mom, dad, Scooter, and Jeremiah.

  Jeremiah sent me sympathetic eyes, but I just turned to Justin and said,"Baby, why can't you just help me? Why are you leaving?"

  Justin couldn't look me in the eyes and I tried to walk up to him, but Jeremiah pulled me back.

  I pushed him off me, and Mom said,"Gabrielle! Don't treat him like that. Your father and I are going to take you home."

  I said,"No, I'm going with Justin. Justin, wait for me! I'm coming."

  I rushed over to Justin, and he said,"Gab, no! You can't come with me."

  I didn't know how much more of this I could take of Justin treating me like this. It was like he had done a complete 360 on me.

  I tried to keep it together as I said heartbroken,"You're treating me like dirt! You're treating me like all those other guys! You're no different from them if you walk out that door and leave me by myself!"

  Justin stopped walking and gazed at me. I thought I had gotten to him, but he left the restaurant.

  Scooter walked up to me and took my hands saying,"I don't know what's going on, but take care of yourself, okay? Gabrielle, don't give up."

  I just nodded, before Scooter let go of my hands. He rushed out after Justin, and I sat next to Jeremiah in the backseat of Mom's car. He tried to talk to me, but I was just ready to get home. Once the car came to a complete stop, I immediately got out and slammed the door behind me.

  Dad caught up with me at the front door and opened it for me.

  I thanked him, yet I just said to him,"Dad, it's um good to see you again alive and all, but I can handle myself. I'll call the house tomorrow. I promise."

  Dad kissed my forehead and nodded, before he left. Once I saw the car was out of sight, I walked into the kitchen and fell to my knees.
  Before I was about to just let it all out, my phone went off.

  I sniffed saying,"J..Jay?"

  I got up and rushed over to my phone.

   JUSTIN'S POV

  What was I thinking, leaving Gabrielle on her own like I did? I guess I just became overwhelmed. I, too, realized just what that fight was going to do to Gabrielle. If we were lucky, people may look over it. If not, Gabrielle could lose many of her endorsements and possible fans as well.
  What did I do? I just left her with her believed to be dead father and ex-boyfriend and her coping mother. When Gabrielle kept crying for me, it was the hardest thing for me to not take Gabrielle in my arms. I knew that's what she wanted, but I just..I couldn't see myself being able to hold her again.

  Jeremiah was back. I knew she had just told me about how she wanted to still be with me, yet no one understood how much Jeremiah meant to Gabrielle. To be honest, I didn't want that feeling of heartbreak all over again. If Gabrielle were to change her mind, I knew for sure that I would end up miserable. I knew that.
  However, Gabrielle was my girl, and she trusted me to have her back. If I wanted to have her back, I had to be there for her despite my own fears. I had to trust that we would be all right.

   GABRIELLE'S POV

  With shaking hands, I picked up the phone and just answered it.

  I said, extremely hopeful,"Baby?"

  Sure enough, it was Justin.

  Justin said,"I'm almost there."

  "Okay."

  When Justin arrived, I rushed to the door and opened it. Immediately, I embraced him.

  Justin held me and said,"I'm so sorry, Gabrielle. I'm so sorry. You trusted me, and I left you alone. I came here as quickly as I could."

  I just buried my face in his neck and ran my thumb over his neck saying,"It's okay. I forgive you."

  Justin grew furious with his actions, and he said,"No, it's not okay! I literally left you! You've been through a lot today, and I just left you!"

  I was all too familiar with guys leaving me on my own and then the crying part after, but this part I wasn't used to at all. I guess Trey was the exception. He didn't leave me on my own, we both just called it off.
  But Justin just caring so much about leaving me, I didn't even know what was the right way to react to this.

  Justin's eyes filled with tears, and he looked down at me saying,"I'm going to do better, okay? I'm not going to leave you like I did at the restaurant. I'm really sorry, baby girl."

  I just held Justin as he held me. Maybe I didn't react like other women would have, but I don't care. I wasn't like other women, and I was okay with that. Justin came back. He was here.
  Since he had gotten here so fast, it wouldn't even be extreme to say he was just down the road. The fact that he had come back this soon, it spoke volumes.