Chapter 4: The Studio

GABRIELLE'S POV

  Justin and I had been in the studio working together for hours now. We were coming up with a completely new song, instead of just using one of our own. It was my idea to come up with an original song for our performance, because I had things I had been holding in.
  I had words I wanted to get out and plus, I loved getting in my feelings. I knew Justin did, too, so I wasn't worried about the outcome of this song. I was only worried about whether this could somehow end up hurting Justin's image as well.

  "Gab, you okay?"

  Justin's hand was on my back, and he laughed saying,"I don't think you're this concerned about the lyrics I just sung to you. What's on your mind?"

  I put down my red notebook and took a seat. Justin slowly sat down on the floor next to me and ran his fingers through his extremely well-kept hair.

  I wasn't sure how to word what I was going to say next, but I just admitted to Justin,"I'm really grateful to Scooter for taking on the position to be my manager and even getting me more shows, but I'm not sure how this will affect you, Justin. I remember the kindness you showed me back when we first met and just how good that felt. Justin, when you did that, that was the same day I had lost my father. My father was a big fan of yours. He was supposed to be with me that day, but he..he gave up his seat to let my best friend come with me instead. When I was on the road back home, Mom called me and..and told me he had been shot. By the time I had made it to the hospital, he..he was already gone. Then, when I finally accepted his death, I lost Jeremiah, too. Justin, I don't want to be the reason something happens to you. You've been too kind to me for me to cause you any pain."

  Justin slowly leaned forward and rested his forehead against my own. I closed my eyes at the sudden contact, contact which felt good.

  Justin stared into my brown eyes saying,"Gabrielle, being around you isn't a risk. It's a blessing. I'm glad you went through with performing with me because I have missed you. I showed you kindness that day at the meet and greet because it was my choice. I understand what it's like being scared, so I wanted you to feel comfortable. I'm sorry you lost your father. I'm sorry you lost Jeremiah, but I will still be here with you. Gab, I've had my fair share of pain, but I'm not worried about you hurting me. I'm only worried about you and how you're doing. Since we're both worried about each other, how about we try to compromise?"

  I smiled at Justin and nodded before he said,"From now on, we will watch each other's backs. We have to trust each other if this will work. We'll be spending a lot of time with one another, so I need to know you will trust me to be there for you. Do you trust me to do that, Gab?"

  Justin still had his forehead against my own, and I rested my hand on his face saying,"I trust you to do that, Justin. Do you trust me to be there for you?"

  Justin said,"I do. Now, let's get back to this song."

  I pulled away from Justin, yet he rested my head on his shoulder. I smiled, and Justin and I compared our ideas for our duet. Suddenly, something hit me, and I began to scratch out certain words from my notes. Then, I wrote down what came to mind.

.........

  When Justin and I came together for the ending product, Scooter gave me a thumbs up.
  Justin sent me a very encouraging smile, and I looked forward to our first performance together.