1.2

I stood there, staring at the horrendously tall wall for hours

  I stood there, staring at the horrendously tall wall for hours. Alby had told the others to leave which I appreciated. I didn't like how they kept staring at me all the time. Only one of them was ordered to stay and watch me in case I tried to run off again.

"Are you going to stand there all night?" Newt asked, leaning back against the wall. He was staring at me intensely, trying to figure me out just like I was.

"Are you really going to stare at me all night?" I asked, lifting my eyebrows. Newt grinned whilst shaking his head.

"You do that a lot, answering a question with another question."

I shared a look with him, wondering how he must've felt coming into this sick place, not knowing anything. It made me feel sick to my stomach.

The thought of having to be there for a second longer made me nauseous. I kicked against the wall but instantly regretted it as pain shot through my foot.

I groaned and fell down. I hid my face in the palms of my hands. Tears had finally managed to escape. They were tears of anger, confusion but above all they were tears of fear.

I felt Newt was standing closer, he laid a hand on my right shoulder, squeezing it ever so gently.

  I wiped the tears away quickly and acted like they weren't there at all.

"We will be ok, we can't let those bastards win."

  I had no clue who those bastards could be but my anger towards them was strong.

"Come, I'll help you up."

I took Newt's outstretched hand and got up. Something about him felt familiar and familiarity was something I desperately needed.

"I'm sorry about before, I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I understand. I suppose I would've done the same if I were you."

Suddenly my head started throbbing. That's when I heard a quiet voice, it was whispering something. I turned around thinking it was someone behind but it wasn't, I faced the stone wall. That's when I figured out what they were saying.

"Julia, I think my name's Julia."

Newt smiled and repeated my name. It was strange hearing someone say it, strangely familiar. I still had to wrap my head around everything but knowing my name comforted me. It was something I was certain about, something that belonged to me. I had a name and that meant I had a life before the Glade too.

Newt showed me around. He explained as much as he could about the Glade and the people inside of it. Newt was kind, unlike the other Gladers that kept staring at me he made me feel somewhat comfortable.

Newt and I rejoined the others, everyone kept staring at me and it made me feel even smaller than I already was. I tried glancing back at them but it didn't really seem to work.

Soon the sun started setting. I sat on the grass trying to get some food inside of me but I had no appetite. The remaining of the night I spent sitting on that exact spot. Some guys had tried to introduce themselves to me but I could barely remember their names afterwards. I was far too busy figuring out why we were here and who the hell I even was.