1.5

My whole body was shaking

My whole body was shaking. I covered my mouth to be as quiet as possible but my heavy breathing made it difficult.

My heart skipped a beat every time I heard it's metal legs take another step. I was hidden underneath the veins on the wall. I pushed my back hard against the wall.

It had been nothing but pure luck that I got away. I felt stupid and incredibly alone. I needed someone to hold me and keep me safe. Tears were stinging my eyes.

  For hours I watched in fear as the grievers passed seeking for anything to sink their teeth into. My eyes kept closing as the exhaustion took over my body. But the metal clicking on the stone floor shook me awake every time.

For what felt like an eternity I finally acknowledged the sun had started to rise. Slowly the grievers returned to where they came from.

I could barely believe I made it through the night. I had been incredibly stupid running into the maze like I did. I was foolish and maybe even selfish to think that I could've managed it out here alone. If it hadn't been for my legs that kept me running I wouldn't have been breathing anymore.

I waited until I was absolutely sure that all the grievers had left. I wiggled myself out of the veins and started walking slowly. My head hung low as I tried to move forwards. I was completely overwhelmed by exhaustion.

The maze seemed endless. I kept on walking but my head was throbbing in agony. My entire body felt sore and my legs barely kept me up anymore.

I took a deep breath and finally gave in to the exhaustion. My knees hit the floor making me groan in pain.

Everything around me started spinning until it stopped and everything went black.

...

My eyes shot open in panic. I pushed myself to sit up straight but I almost fell back when I felt pain shooting through my head.

I could feel a bandage on my forehead as I reached for it with my hand. Looking around I could tell I was back in the Glade.

I was inside of a small hut, Alby had showed it to me on my second day in the Glade. I was confused to how I got there.

"You're awake!"

I couldn't help but smile seeing the familiar blond enter the room. It was a relief to see Newt again.

"Newt! How did I get here?"

"Me and Minho found you."

"You? You went into the maze?"

"Yes, to find you."

I felt guilt rush through my body. I didn't listen to what Newt had said and still he decided to go look for me, a stupid girl he barely even knew.

"I'm so sorry, Newt. You were right, I never should've gone out there, I should've listened to you."

He stepped closer and grabbed ahold of my hand, it felt warm and safe.

"You're safe now—" Newt couldn't finish his sentence as Alby and Minho stormed inside.

"You young lady, have a lot of explaining to do." said Minho.

I explained everything to them. I told them how sorry I was for breaking the rules. As punishment for it I got some cleaning chores for when I'd feel better. But they were relieved to have me back and especially surprised how I managed to get through the night. Mostly they were shocked that I was the first person alive to have ever seen a griever.

Frypan stopped by for a little while to see how I was doing but mostly I think he just wanted to hear what I had seen out there. For the rest of the night Newt stayed and kept me company. He told me he stayed to make sure that none of the guys would come in and ask me about the grievers but I had doubts if that was the only reason.

He told me about how he and Minho went straight into the maze at sunrise to come and find me. Apparently they found me not far away from the entrance. For some reason I got nervous when Newt told me he carried me all the way back into the Glade.

We talked for a long time until the both of us fell asleep. For the first time in what felt like a very long time I finally had a good night sleep.