1.8

My back was leaning against a log of wood

My back was leaning against a log of wood. I could feel the warmth of the campfire against the back of my head. They were lighting up another wooden statue, the tradition when another Greenie came up with the box. I wondered how many times we'd have to do it again.

"Mind if I join you?"

I looked up, seeing greenie's face. His cheeks were red from the warm fire, he looked confused still which was understandable. I signed him to sit down next to me and he did. He let out a long sigh, I couldn't help but giggle.

"Rough first day, huh?"

He nodded.

"I get that, been there done that."

"How long have you been here?" He asked, looking me directly in the eyes.

I squinted my eyes when I saw something familiar in his, but then again maybe I imagined it. I always looked for anything that looked or sounded familiar, I wanted to remember my past so desperately.

"About three months, but it feels longer."

Greenie opened his mouth to speak up but pressed his lips back together when Newt plopped down beside me. He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer as he did.

"Here, grow some hair on your chest." Newt handed Greenie a bottle. I knew what it was and was sure Greenie wasn't going to like it. Gally's special brew as everyone liked to call it, but it tasted awful.

Newt and I shared a look, waiting for Greenie to take a sip. He did and scrunched his nose up in disgust. Newt and I could only laugh as Greenie spat it all back on the grass.

"Oh my god, what even is that?"

"I don't know, Gally's recipe, trade secret."

"Yeah, well he's still an asshole." Greenie said.

"He saved your life today, trust me when I say the maze is a dangerous place." Newt said.

"We're trapped, aren't we?" Greenie asked.

Newt squeezed my hand, as if reassuring me. I not only felt scared for myself to be trapped in an unknown place but also for the other gladers, Newt especially.

"For the moment, but see those guys?" Newt pointed to the other runners sitting around the fire. "There by the fire, those are the runners. That guy in the middle Is Minho, keeper of the runners. And obviously the fastest of them all, Julia."

I smiled at Newt, earning a smile of his back, that one where a crease forms in his right cheek, making him even more handsome.

"Every morning when those doors open they go into the maze, mapping it, memorising it, finding a way out."

"How long have they been looking?"

"Three years."

"They haven't found anything?"

I sighed saying "It changes, every night. The walls move so the maze changes. Finding a way out is easier said than done."

"How's it even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here, if you ever find the bastards. Listen, the truth is the runners are the only one who really know what's out there. They're the strongest and fastest of us all. That's a good thing because if they don't make it back before those doors close then they're stuck out there and almost no-one has ever survived a night out there."

"Almost no-one?"

Newt looked at me saying "This one did."

"What was it like? Why did others not make it out there?"

"We call them grievers." I answered and explained what it was like, that long night out there. I didn't go into detail, I hated reliving it, I had never felt more alone or scared when I was out there at night in the maze.

Newt knew I felt uncomfortable talking about it and managed to get Greenie away with him. They talked for a while until I saw them standing with the other gladers.

Gally was challenging people to fight him, trying to prove how he was the strongest out of everyone. He probably was but it was annoying how good it made him feel about himself.

It wasn't until Greenie started fighting him when I really turned my attention to them. Greenie wasn't bad but he had no plan of attack what so ever. It didn't surprise me when his head hit the ground and Gally looked all too pleased with himself.

"Thomas!"

My eyes widened and my ears began to ring. I suddenly felt an agonising pain I had never felt before. I tried to yell for help but I couldn't control my body anymore and my mind was taken back. For the first time I remembered something.

"Thomas, I don't think I can do this anymore."

Thomas laid his hand on my shoulder.

"Julia, I know you can. You're the best person I know." he said in a comforting way. I smiled through my tears and wrapped myself in his embrace, pressing my wet face into his shoulder.

"We're helping them, remember?"

"I'm scared, Thom. I don't want to lose my memories, I don't want to forget you, my friends and Ne—"

"Don't be scared, Julia. You have nothing to worry about, we're doing the right thing here. Helping us is the right thing to do. WICKED is good." this time it wasn't Thomas talking. A lady wearing a white coat had entered the room, doctor Ava Paige.