1.33

"I know you've all been though hell, I wish I could say our troubles are over but we're not through this yet

"I know you've all been though hell, I wish I could say our troubles are over but we're not through this yet. WICKED's still out there, they're not giving up. Because you've got something they want, they took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race and they thing you're worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well, I don't. So, in two days when we get this tub of rust sea worthy we're getting the hell out of here. We're gonna go to a place where WICKED will never find you, a place you can start over, a place you can call home. Are you with me?" Vince explained.

Everyone cheered, I applauded too but it didn't feel right without Minho. I scrambled to my feet and wandered off even though Vince continued his speech.

I inhaled deeply, excited to be breathing in the fresh air. I stretched my arms out and cheered in excitement, not minding the stares I got. I swirled around and giggled like a little kid. I stood still at the sound of an all too familiar laugh. I smiled seeing Newt leaning against one of the trees, gawking at me.

But our smiles faded once we caught each other's eyes. Without saying anything else I grabbed his hand and pulled him away. When we were out of everyone's sight, in some kind of building I pressed myself against his chest and kissed him lustfully.

We were breathing heavily and made out like we were hungry for more. He turned me around and pressed me against the wall, trapping me in his arms. I looked into his icy blue eyes and nearly drowned in them. I didn't think it was possible for me to fall in love with someone even more.

...

I had taken a hot shower and changed into some clothes Brenda had leant me. Denim shorts and a tank top, perfect since it was nearly always warm outside.

I leaned against the doorframe of one of the small building and watched from a distance as Thomas talked to Aris and Sonya. Newt and Brenda were there too. But none of them had noticed me yet so I listened silently.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us." Aris said. I grinned to myself, he wasn't wrong. "It's good to see you too, bud."

"So what happened?" Thomas asked. I had already told him my side of the story but he wanted to know everything precisely because he knew he what he was thinking.

"I fought back."

"You're lucky you even found us at all. They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening."

"Any idea where they were heading?" Newt asked, his deep voice and accent making my heart jump every time I heard it.

"All I know is they kept talking about a city."

"I didn't think there were any cities left."

"That's because there aren't, not still standing anyways." Brenda said, her arms crossing over her chest. Her hair had grown out to shoulder length and it suited her quiet nicely. It was about the same length as my hair but I thought it fitted her way better.

Suddenly Thomas jumped to his feet and hurried off. He looked somewhat surprised to see me standing there but kept walking.

"Thomas, I know what you're thinking. It won't be easy."

I felt the others following us closely from behind. Thomas glanced at me but ignored my comment. He got inside one of the other buildings where Vince was seated at a table. Thomas dropped a map on the table and spread it across the surface. He pointed at a place on the map, a city.

"There, that's it, it's a few hundred miles. Bases on the railways and everything Julia and Aris told us that's got to be where they're headed. That's where they're taking Minho. We'll take everyone who can fight, follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week."

"A week? It took us six months to get here." Vince stated making my eyes go wide in realisation. I never realised we had been locked up for such a long time. Six months we had been locked up in a prison.

"We got over a hundred kids here now."

I barged inside and threw my fist on the table. "And what? Those remaining kids don't have the right of freedom like the rest of us?"

He shook his head and said "We can't just hang out here forever, not after what we just pulled."

I let out a humourless laugh and shook my head saying "So, you're just gonna let them fend and fight for themselves? That's bullshit. They're going through hell, I mean look at my face."

"Then what? You wanna wander off to some random point on the map? You don't even know what's there!"

"You—" I spoke angrily but was interrupted by Jorge walking into the room. I raised my eyebrows seeing the man again, he hadn't changed at all. "It's been a few years but I've been there. The last city that's what WICKED called it. It was our whole base of operations. If that city is still standing then that's the last place you wanna go. That's the lions den."

"Not something we haven't done before." Thomas stated confidently. I nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, with months of planning and reliable information, the elements of surprise none of which we have now."

"Yes, I've thought this through we'll—"

"The time we went off halfcocked I lost everything, remember that?" Look I know it's Minho but you can't just ask me to put all those lives on the line for one man, I won't do it."

I scowled and crumbled the map into a ball before throwing it one the ground and leaving the room in anger. Once I stepped outside the frustration lifted a bit until I heard the sound of an airplane.

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Turn the lights off! Come on!"

They never stop, do they?