1.41

I leaned back against a tree and watched Vince speaking from a distance

I leaned back against a tree and watched Vince speaking from a distance. I felt emptier than I imagined I'd feel. Everything was different, I looked at the world from a whole other perspective and it was as if someone continuously stabbed me in the chest. It felt like losing Newt, I lost a part of myself too.

"We've come a long way together, so many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends, your family, so here's to the ones who couldn't be here." Everyone raised their glasses.

"Here's to the friends we lost, this place is for you, for all of us. But this, this is for them. So in your own time, in your own way, come and make your peace." he pointed at the rock behind him, standing on the shore of the island.

"And welcome to safe haven."

Loud cheering was heard, everyone was happy to finally be in the safe haven we fought so hard for. It was a fact, we finally escaped WICKED.

I turned on my heel and strolled down the beach away from the crowded place. The island was unbelievable beautiful, mesmerising even. The mountains were higher than any mountains I had ever seen, almost touching the clouds. The forest of the island seemed to go on and on and the waves of the ocean rolled onto the shore in a peaceful manner.

I slid my hand into the pockets of my jacket and my fingers caught onto something small. A piece of paper and a silver ring. I pulled them out and studied the ring, reading the letters carved inside of it.

'I'll run away with you, Newt.'

I collapsed onto my knees and cried, sliding my finger through the ring. It fitted me perfectly, it was beautiful.

I unfolded the piece of paper and began the reading what was written on it in a neat handwriting.

"My love Julia,

I remember the day you ran out of that box and bumped against me, right into my arms. I remember how small you felt, I was scared to break your fragile bones. Your beautiful hazel eyes I drowned inside of. Your brown long hair that perfectly framed your beautiful face.

My first reaction was 'A girl? Why would they sent a girl up here with forty shanks of us around?' I couldn't understand until you ran off into that maze and came back telling us 'Oh yeah, I saw four of them grievers but I just ran away from them' like it was the most normal thing in the world.

It amazes me how mighty a small girl like you can be. You made me feel alive. You took the numbness away I had felt for so long. You always made sure others felt at ease, you set your own feelings aside and calm others down with just a few simple words. Your intelligence and stubbornness that saved us many times. The way you break some guys nose to get justice. Your gifted voice that always managed to calm me down. Every inch of you is perfect.

I knew from the moment I laid eyes on you that you were special. My life had no meaning until I met you. You are my world and you are my life. Words can't describe the way I feel about you. My love towards you is endless.

You're not a fragile little girl anymore. You are mighty and strong. You fend and fight for yourself, don't let anyone ever tell you what to do and what not. You have a beautiful life in front of you that is yet to come. Take it, grab it with both your hands and enjoy every last bit of it. Remember, I'll always be with you, wherever you are. I love you, I always have and I always will.

Your love, Newt."

"And I love you." my tears fell onto the paper. My hands that were covered in bandages shook as I broke into sobs.

Flashes of memories, memories of him filled my thoughts. I no longer needed my memories before the Glade back because they wouldn't be memories with him. The time I had with Newt was too short but it was the most crazy and amazing time of my life. His memories would forever linger on.

I stood on my feet and slid the letter back into my pocket. Unbothered by the tears on my face I joined my friends who were gathered around the rock on the shore.

Thomas, Minho, Frypan, Gally, Brenda, Aris and Jorge were all there, forming a half circle around the rock. I grabbed the knife from my pocket and stepped into the circle. They looked surprised to see me but didn't protest.

I held the knife against the hard rock and scraped those four letters onto it, forming a name with so many memories attached to it. He was the person I loved and would forever love. He was a runner that fell in love with another runner. We were two Gladers that fitted each other like two missing pieces of a puzzle.

I was never going to forget his breathtaking smile and his sparkling blue eyes. Nobody could forget someone like him. He was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I love you, Newt.