1.30

Julia's point of view

  I was pushed onto my knees, an excruciating pain was shooting through my entire body making me breath heavily. I was drained in sweat and blood. The bandage that was once white was now a deep red colour. My body was shaking in pain and my head hung forwards.

  I tried to look for my friends but everyone was lined up and I could only see the back of people's heads. Our necks were being scanned by WICKED. One of them approached me and moved my hair aside. He furrowed his eyebrows seeing the state I was in but scanned my neck anyways.

  "A11." he called out.

  I looked up at the sound of another plane lowering to the ground. I reached for my head as I felt it throbbing at the loud sounds around me.

  "Julia."

  I cocked my head to the side and saw Newt and the rest of my friends looking at me in concern. They were lined up on the other side, far away from me.

  Both Newt, Minho, Frypan and Thomas were about to get up to get to me but I shook my head, telling them to stop. The guards warned us they'd shoot if we moved. Last thing I needed was for any of them to get shot.

  The plane landed on the dirt and a bright light appeared as it opened. A figure stepped out and I gasped seeing the persons I couldn't stand at all. Janson and doctor Ava Paige. She was alive and fully dressed in white clothes.

  She stopped in front of Thomas and I could hear pieces of what she was saying. It took me a lot of energy to keep my attention on them.

  "I'm glad you're safe." Doctor Ava Paige said as Teresa walked up to her from behind. She looked guilty as hell.

  "Wait, what's going on?"

  "She's with them." 

  I could already feel new tears rolling down my pale cheeks. But nothing surprised me anymore, though I hated her for betraying us.

  "Since when?"

  "Oh, Teresa has always had an involved appreciation of the greater good once we restored her memories. It was only a matter of time." Janson smirked proudly, making me want to gag.

  "I'm sorry, I had no choice, this is the only way. We have to find a cure." Teresa tried defending herself but I had enough. I scrambled to my feet and grunted in pain. I had enough of WICKED treating us like objects instead of actual people.

  "By killing us?" I scowled, breathing heavily as I stepped closer. All of my friends looked shocked to see me standing. I could feel the blood dripping down my legs.

  "Ah, Julia, you're not looking too good." Janson said, a satisfied smile on his devilish face. I scowled and wiped the sweat from my forehead.

  "This is all just a means to an end, you two used to understand that, Julia and Thomas. No matter what you think of me, I'm not a monster, I'm a doctor. I swore an oath to find a cure, no matter the cost. I just need more time."

  "You're a monster." I shouted. Doctor Ava Paige looked at me plainly before waving her hand and saying "Load them up, Janson. All the people, get rid of them."

  "Get back!" Thomas jumped forwards, holding a device in his hands. It was a black device with a red button on top of it. "Let them go!"

  "Thomas, put that down."

  "You know I can't do that!"

  "Thomas, please stop. I made a deal with them, they promised we'd be safe, all of us."

  "It's true, it was her only condition."

  "Shut up!" Thomas groaned.

  "Everything can go back to the way it was, Thomas. Do you really want all of them to die?"

  "Listen to her, Thomas. Think about what you're doing."

  "I'm with you, Thomas." I said, looking both Thomas and my other friends in the eyes. "Yes, we're with you." Newt repeated, locking his eyes with mine.

  "Don't."

  "Do it, Thomas."

  "We're not going back there."

  I stared into Newt's eyes, expecting it to be the last time when suddenly a truck drove forwards. It drove right into one of the helicopters and with that came a loud explosion.

  I gasped and fell onto the ground, my ears ringing. I coughed and felt my body throbbing in pain. I could barely breath with the thick air around me. I felt two arms grabbing ahold of me. I hoped it was Newt but instead I saw a guard, dragging me away. He pulled me into the plane. I wanted to fight back but I couldn't, I was too weak.

  I couldn't see anything due to the smoke and heard my name getting called but as soon as the doors of the place closed I felt myself drifting away.

  After all of our attempts to escape they had gotten ahold of us at last. We were trapped again. But besides my uncertain future I knew Newt wasn't in the same plane as me. I hoped he and the others were fine, it was all I needed to know.