1.37

"No, there's gotta be another way

"No, there's gotta be another way." Thomas pulled his own hair, frustrated with the plan but there wasn't another way.

We were back outside the walls, reunited with the others. We were in the middle of a discussion, Thomas wasn't exactly in on our plan.

"Like what? You saw the building, she is our only way in."

"Do you think she's gonna help us?"

"I don't plan on asking her permission."

"Am I missing something here? This is the same girl who betrayed us? Correct?" Brenda asked.

"Correct." I answered and leaned onto the table where the rest were seated. "Same dick." Brenda scowled. I snorted but covered my mouth, not wanting to frustrate Thomas even more. "I like her." said Gally, pointing at Brenda.

"What's going on?"

"What? You're afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt? Hmm? This has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho, has it?" I narrowed my eyes hearing Newt's sudden outburst.

"What are you talking about?"

"Teresa, she's the only reason Minho and Julia went missing in the first place. Now we finally have an opportunity to get Minho back and now you don't want to because of her?" Newt stepped forwards and pushed Thomas against the wall. I jumped off the table, not wanting the two friends to fight.

"Because deep down, inside you still care about her, don't you? Just admit it!"

"No, I—"

"Don't lie to me! Don't lie to me!"

I grabbed Newt's arm to hold him back. I called his name and he instantly seemed to calm down. He sighed and looked down at me with apologetic eyes "I'm sorry, sorry."

I let go of his arm and watched him walk away. I swallowed and shared a look with the others before running after him. I followed him all the way to the roof and watched from a distance as he sat on the edge of it, his legs dangling off of it. I quietly approached him and sat down next to him, cautiously.

I tried searching for his eyes but a sad look lingered in his gaze. Something was off. He wasn't acting like himself. He took a deep breath and pulled his sleeve upwards. I nearly choked on what I saw, Purple veins underneath his skin, the virus spreading to his body.

I couldn't process it properly and merely stared at his arm. I grabbed ahold of it and leaned down to see it clearer, hoping my mind was playing tricks on me but it was reality. Without realising, tears fell onto his skin and I shook my head in denial.

"We'll figure something out, we'll get the medicine, I'll give you my blood. Whatever it takes."

Newt's fingers entwined with mine and he looked me in the eyes "It's ok, love. It's ok."

"No, Newt, this isn't ok. I need you, I need you, Newt."

He wiped the tears off my cheeks and calmly spoke up again "Are you kidding me? You don't need me, Julia, not anymore. I couldn't be prouder of the person you've become. You're so strong and brave." he kissed me on top of my head. I pressed my face into his chest and cried silently.

He rubbed his hand over my back in a calming circular motion. I heard his calm rhythmic heartbeat, he really was ok with dying. I couldn't understand it, I didn't want to understand it, I wanted him to live.

Thomas approached us from behind and his eyes went wide once he saw the tears and panic in my eyes. He kneeled down, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I guess I can't hide this anymore." Newt showed Thomas his arm and Thomas was shocked to see it.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it would make any difference, all I know is that WICKED must've put me in that maze for a reason. Maybe it was literally just so they could tell the difference between the immunes like you two and people like me."

"You know we can still fix this, Newt, we can."

"Don't worry about me, this is about Minho. Now, he needs us so if there's the slightest chance that we can safe him, that we can get him out of there then we have to take that. No matter what the cost."

"Ok, I hear you. I'll leave you two alone." and with that Thomas left us alone. Newt lifted my chin up, forcing me to look him in the eyes.

"I love you." he said and it broke me into sobs. I wasn't ok with this, I couldn't lose him and I was going to do everything it took to get the serum in time, the serum he needed to survive even if it meant I'd die for it. I'd give my life for him.