1.6

Gally's brew was the worst, still everyone seemed to enjoy drinking it

Gally's brew was the worst, still everyone seemed to enjoy drinking it. It made you feel all sleepy and giggly. I took a big sip of it as I watched the boys fight around the fire. Gally almost always won and to say the least it wasn't the best for his ego.

"I'd like to have a moment, there's something I need to say." Alby shouted, making everyone quiet at once. I rolled my eyes as Gally was a bit annoyed as he was about to win a fight from Ben.

"As you all know by now, someone went into the maze without permission."

My cheeks instantly fired up as everyone turned their attention towards me. I didn't understand why Alby had to bring it up again. It had been a week since I went into the maze.

The extra chores was an enough of a punishment already. Scrubbing toilets wasn't really my thing.

"It was a reckless thing to do, stupid to say the least. Let this be a reminder that the maze is a dangerous place and nobody should ever run into it like that."

Alby looked at me intensely, I felt ashamed but managed to keep looking him in the eyes.

"But it takes courage too and strength for someone to keep running like that. Julia risked her life to find a way out and isn't that what we all want? To find a way out? That's why I'd like to introduce you to our newest runner, Julia."

My eyes widened in surprise. Everyone applauded and cheered. It was unexpected and it made me feel slightly nervous. I knew I could do it and I definitely wanted to. Running made me feel alive and it made me feel in control.

The night was spent around the fire. Everyone made the best of it, even though reality was anything like it.

  "Want some company?"

I turned around. I had been leaning against a tree looking at the night sky, one of the only things that felt normal.

"Yes, of course." I said smilingly. Newt stood next to me, his arm brushing past mine.

For a few minutes we stood there in silence. We watched the two lonely bright stars in the dark sky. I could feel the warmth of Newt's body as our arms almost touched

"Do you wonder what it's like, out there?"

"Every day." Newt answered.

"We'll find out right?"

"I believe we will."

I looked at Newt and realized he was already looking down at me. I felt small next to him but it wasn't intimidating, I felt small in a safe way.

His eyes were a beautiful brown color, they were very clear. I hadn't looked into them this way before, they made me forget everything around me, they made me feel not so alone anymore.

For a moment the Glade had disappeared. I felt safe and I didn't want that feeling to go away.

Newt leaned downwards, the warmth of his breath touched my skin. I felt nervous but at the same time everything about Newt felt familiar and safe, something I craved so deeply.

Newt slowly pressed his soft lips against mine. I closed my eyes and instinctively grabbed his hand. My entire body covered in goosebumps at his touch. He invaded all my senses in the best way possible.

The kiss was gentle. Newt made me feel at ease, he was nothing like the other gladers. I knew I had only met him a few days before but it felt like I had known him for years.

I was not certain about the future but I was certain about one thing, I would hold onto that safety as long as I could.