1.10

There I laid, curled up into a ball on the cold dirty ground

There I laid, curled up into a ball on the cold dirty ground. I was hid in the woods behind some wild bushes. I had heard my name getting called for the entire night but it was almost impossible for them to find a small girl like me hidden in the darkness.

I hadn't slept and tried fooling myself into thinking I wouldn't be a part of those cruel people, WICKED. But who was I kidding? I helped them, I did that, I chose to help them. Even though that person was basically wiped away from this world, I was afraid I could turn in that person once again.

I scrambled to my feet and limped my way back to camp. I had no interest in speaking to anyone but my stomach growled for food. When I stepped into view everyone turned their gaze towards me.

"Alby, Newt, she's here! Julia's here!" Winston yelled, I didn't know him that well but being the only girl made it nearly impossible not to know me.

To my surprise Gally came running to me out of nowhere, his eyebrows furrowed. I expected him to yell at me and call me names but the opposite happened. "Are you ok?" he asked but before I could answer I was pulled into a hug by Newt.

"Thank god you're here, don't ever do that again."

He pulled me with him towards homestead and kept glancing down at me with a worried look on his face. Inside sat Alby and Minho, both getting ready for a run. I furrowed my eyebrows seeing Alby getting ready for a run but shrugged it off realising they probably didn't want the responsibility of running in my hands anymore.

"Julia, are you ok?"

"Why are you concerned about me? Didn't Newt tell?"

Alby nodded and grabbed my hand, standing in front of me with kind eyes. "He told us, Julia. I know you, you're a good person. Whoever we were before this, it doesn't matter because you woke up just like the rest of us, without a name, without memories."

"But I helped them, I did all of this."

"Julia, for all I know I helped them too. It doesn't matter anymore, do you hear me?"

"But—"

"No, Julia, didn't you hear him? It doesn't matter, you're a good person and nobody blames you." Newt said, looking me deeply in the eyes.

"At least now we have a name for those bastards, WICKED." Alby grimaced. I gave him a nod. I did help WICKED, that was a fact but like they said, it didn't matter. I knew who I was now and I knew how much I hated WICKED for putting my friends in here.

Minho gave me a reassuring smile before he and Alby turned to leave. But I stopped them, grabbing Alby's arm. "Why are you going on a run?"

Alby turned around and sighed "Just helping out, especially since Ben. We're going to see if he's still out there, alive."

"Then I'm coming with you." I stated but Newt instantly shook his head and protested "No, you're not."

"Newt, I have to do this. I can't stay here, not now. I'm coming with them." And with that I left with Minho and Alby, they agreed that I joined them and even though I hated going against Newt I had to do this. I was more desperate than ever to find a way out.

...

"Minho? Alby?" I shouted but it remained quiet. I twisted my head around, contemplating where to run to. My heart was beating in panic, what if I got lost? What if they were hurt?

There was no sign of both of them. I held my hands on my head and breathed heavily. They wouldn't just leave me, would they?

But to my relief I heard Minho coughing behind me. He was dragging Alby's unconscious body with him. I gasped and ran to them and wrapped Alby's arm around my shoulder to help him up.

"What happened?"

"He got stung, Alby got stung." Minho panted. I groaned in frustration and together we began carrying Alby towards the Glade. We weren't far away but the sun was near setting which meant the doors were closing soon. We weren't moving fast because I couldn't carry Alby properly, I wasn't strong enough and Alby was too heavy for me to fully support him.

My shoulder was burning underneath Alby's weight but I forced myself to keep going. The sweat was pouring from my forehead. We were so close, I could already smell Fry's stew.

Then suddenly we heard the screeching sound of stone against stone, the doors were closing. I could already feel my breath getting uncontrollable at the thought of being trapped here at night.

"We're almost there!" I yelled in frustration.

"Go, Julia, run!" Minho shouted, his breathing heavy. But I shook my head, I refused to leave them alone. "We're doing this together, Minho."

We turned around the corner and there it was, the Glade looking as welcoming as ever. It was so close yet so far away. The Gladers had formed a half circle in the entrance, all of them calling our names.

I looked up seeing Newt trying to get inside but Gally held him back. He screamed my name and we were so close. Until I fell onto the stone floor, tripping over my own feet. I hit my head on the floor, blood now dripping down, mixing with the sweat.

"Julia!"

I looked up feeling dizzy, only to see the doors closing right in front of us. We were left all alone in the maze. My sight was blurry until I rubbed my hands through them.

"Good job, you just killed yourself."

I looked up confusedly until I saw the exact reason why he said it. Thomas had ran into the maze.

"Thomas?" I mumbled and shook my head in defeat and anger. Then I turned to look at Alby and tried waking him up but he remained unconscious.

I was terrified, terrified of being in the maze, terrified for Alby's life, terrified for not having Newt with me and terrified for those murderous creatures that were soon to appear.

"What happened to him?"

"What does it look like? He got stung!" Minho spat and kneeled down next to me, examining the blood gushing from my forehead.

"What happened to his head?"

"I did what I had to do."

Minho did the right thing, people who got stung were uncontrollable and wild. The only way to stop them would be to knock them out or lock them up.

Minho helped me up and held my arm to keep me from falling. I felt dizzy and my head was throbbing. But it didn't take long before my sight got more blurry and everything went black.