1.12

Julia's point of view

"Yeah!" Chuck cheered with the other Gladers as the doors opened. I had never been happier to see the colourful Glade with all my friends in it. Whilst Thomas and Minho carried Alby I began running towards them, giggling like a happy little kid.

Newt met me halfway, the biggest relieved smile on his face. I jumped in his arms and sighed in relief. He twirled me around, letting out some deep chuckles.

"Never let me go again." I whispered and looked into his bright blue eyes. "Never." he whispered before pressing his lips lovingly against mine. Being in Newt's arms felt like coming home, it was a safe place.

He squeezed me tightly as if checking to see if I was really there and put me on the ground again. But as soon as I hit the ground Chuck crashed into my arms. I grinned to myself, feeling lucky to have such great friends.

Once Chuck pulled back I smiled at him and grabbed ahold of Newt's hand. The other Gladers circled around Alby whilst they studied Minho, Thomas and I.

"You saw a Griever?"

"Yeah, I saw one."

"He didn't just see it, he killed it." stated Minho. I still could barely believe what had happened. Thomas had seriously killed a freaking Griever, a monster.

"Little one!" Frypan squeaked and twirled me around. I giggled and wrapped my arms around his shoulder. "You keep surprising me, Jules. Why don't I make you your favourite tonight?"

"Thanks, Fry."

I watched as some guys carried Alby away to give him medical attention. One of them was Gally who glanced towards me several times. I still wasn't sure whatever it was that was going on between us but it made me nervous. I smiled at him and turned my attention back to Newt.

"I have a surprise for you, tonight." Newt whispered in my ear making me shiver. I bit my lip and cocked my head to the side "I don't like surprises."

"I know you'll love this one." he smirked before kissing me on the forehead. I nervously smiled and began walking along with him until I abruptly stood still. I needed to tell him something first.

"What is it? It's just a surprise, love."

"It's not about the surprise. Thomas he told me something, he remembered something as well. He told me— he told me I'm his sister."

"Wait— are you seriously?"

"Yes, it makes sense. We're a lot alike and it explains why he was comforting me."

It hadn't actually gotten to me but I liked the idea of having an actual brother. I was excited to get to know him but at the same time it made me sad about the fact that I couldn't remember a single thing about him.

...

"Things are changing, there's no denying that. First Ben gets stung in brought daylight and then Alby. And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze which is clear violation of our rules here."

I rolled my eyes hearing Gally speak and tensed up instantly in annoyance of Gally. Newt noticed and grinned to himself, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life."

"Did he? For three years we have coexisted with these things and now you killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"What do you suggest we do?" Newt asked.

"He has to be punished."

I knitted my eyebrows together and huffed "Bullshit!" but once I looked up I realised everyone had heard it. Newt grinned once again and turned towards Minho. "Minho, you were with him, what do you think?"

Minho sighed and raised from his seat. "I think, in all time we've been here no-one's ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this stupid shank stood behind to help Alby. Look I don't know if he's brave or stupid but whatever it is we need more of it!"

I jumped from my seat and yelled "I say we make him a runner!" Gally instantly glared down at me along with some of his buddies.

"What? Julia, let's not jump the gun here." Frypan said letting out a breathy laugh.

"Thomas, Thomas, Thomas!" Chuck cheered and I was about to join in when Gally began speaking again.

"If you wanna throw the newbie a parade that's fine, go ahead but if there's one thing I know about the maze, it's that you do not—"

All of our heads turned when the buzzing sound of the box filled the air. It was strange since it wasn't time yet, only a few days had passed since Thomas' arrival.

I ran outside with the rest and watched whilst Gally and Newt opened the box. I jumped in the box without a warning and was shocked to find a girl laying inside of it. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing another girl. Her eyes were closed but she had beautifully long brown hair and wore a light brown t-shirt.

"It's a girl." Newt murmured and jumped in after me. I kneeled down leaning over her unconscious body. "I think she's dead."

"She's not dead." I said once I heard her slow breathing. I hadn't seen it at first but suddenly I noticed a piece of paper in her right hand and pulled it out. I unfolded it and read it out loud "She's the last one ever. What the hell does that mean?"

I basically jumped into Newt's arms when the girl woke up gasping for air and calling for a certain brunet "Thomas!" but Thomas seemed just as confused as the rest of us.

"Still think I'm overreacting?"