Chapter Seven

Where's the best place to go on a first date? McDonald's, of course.

James and I were there first, so we found ourselves a table. The boys didn't arrive till ten minutes later. We were having such a laugh without them there, that we almost forgot we were going on a date at all.

I noticed them straight away as they walked in. Danny was wearing skinny black jeans and a black V-neck T-shirt that dipped down low enough to reveal a well sculpted chest that I hadn't noticed the first time we met.

His stocks just went up.

He smiled and waved, Tom following on behind, like last time. It was one of those awkward moments. We didn't know if we should kiss, hug or shake hands. In the end he offered me a fist bump, which seemed like the most appropriate option. James stood up to greet Tom. The two shared a slightly awkward hug.

'Want to get some food?' Danny said.

'Sure,' I said. 'Have you seen the specials board yet?'

'Not yet,' he said, 'but I hear the quarter pounders are terrific.'

'Sounds good.'

'Anything to drink?'

'The strawberry shake, of course.'

'Ah yes. A fruity little number. I'll go order.'

I pulled my hand out of my pocket and presented him with a screwed up five pound note and a load of small change.

'It's cool,' he said. 'I'll get this.'

'Are you sure?'

'Yeah. You will put out if I buy you dinner, right?'

I laughed, assuming it was a joke. He laughed back, but I couldn't help thinking he was a little bit serious. Both Danny and Tom disappeared again to order, leaving James and I alone on the date again.

'Tom looks really fit today,' James said, a huge grin covering his face. 'In fact, I think he looks even fitter than he did at the party.'

I smiled. In the light of day, with no alcohol consumed, both the boys looked really good. I was just about to say something to James, when a buzz from my pocket distracted me. I pulled my phone out and saw I had a DM on Instagram.

How are you today, sexy?

It was such a simple message, but it made me feel the butterflies I did each time I had a message from him. The fact that he had called me sexy made me feel warm inside. I didn't realise how much I was grinning until James asked me, 'What are you smiling at?'

I shook myself out of my trance and looked at him. I always told James everything, but it didn't feel right somehow. I didn't want him to think I'd come on this date when my heart wasn't In it. If I told him that I was texting one guy whilst on a date with another, he'd think I wasn't taking this seriously or even worse, that I was a massive slut. I knew how much he had his heart set on us dating two best friends. Obviously, I couldn't make myself feel something that wasn't there, but I owed it to James and Danny to at least give this a shot to see how it went.

'It's nothing,' I said, and he eyed ne suspiciously. He probably would have asked me again if Danny and Tom hadn't returned, both holding a tray full of food each.

'Here you go sir,' Danny said, carrying on the joke from earlier. 'would you like to try the milkshake first?'

I took a sip, nodded and told him it was fine.

'So how has your day been?' Danny asked. It was the same question that Alessandro had just asked me, and I hadn't yet had chance to answer him. I was desperate to get my phone out and text Alessandro my answer first, but that seemed like really bad form on a date. I would just have to wait a while before I replied.

It was clear that Danny was a really sweet guy. I hadn't noticed at the party, as most of our time together had been spent making out. I was glad I had come out, as I was getting to see another side of him. But it was clear that James was having a much better time on the date than I was. We had naturally split into two groups of two, and each time I looked at James and Tom, they were laughing and flirting. What Danny and I were doing seemed much like just polite conversation.

As it was mid-week date, we didn't stop out too long, as we had school the next day. At least this way we got to test the waters first, before committing to a full Friday night together. And to be fair, I could quite easily have gone on a full date with him. He was really good company and I enjoyed hanging out with him. But the feeling just wasn't there. Maybe if he wanted to hang out as mates another time, I'd be up for that. But I got the impression that he wanted more than that from me.

We kept the table for a good hour after we'd finished eating. We got looked at us disapprovingly bu the woman who cleaned the tables. She clearly wanted us to fuck off and let her have the table. We eventually took the hint.

James and I had to go in the other direction to our dates, but they walked with us to our bus stop and waited with us for it to come. 'I've had a great time with you,' Danny said, edging closer to me. I turned to see James and Tom were now kissing. I was shocked. I had never seen James engage in such a PDA before. I looked back at Danny trying to work out what to do next. I wanted to let him down gently, but before I had the chance, he leaned in and kissed me. I let him do it. I wanted to see if there was anything there between us before making the final decision. He was just as good a kisser as I remembered. But as I thought, there were no butterflies. When the kiss was over, he looked at me and smiled. 'Can I see you again?' he asked.

'I'd like that,' I said, 'but I think it would be more as mates for me.'

'Oh,' he said, backing off. 'Do you often kiss your mates like that?'

I figured it was best not to tell him what I got up to with my mates. I didn't think James would appreciate me telling Tom's best friend about that.

'I'm sorry,' I said, holding out my hand to shake. He took it, defeated, and we shook on it.

'Sure,' he said, 'if that's what you want.'

That was the moment that James came back, holding hands with Tom. 'So guys,' he said excitedly. 'We've been talking, and we think the four of us should go on another double date this weekend, maybe go to the cinema?'

This was going to be awkward.

Before I could think of how to let James down, our bus came from around the corner. 'We should go,' I said, stepping towards the road and holding out my arm to stop the bus. We got on and walked to the back. James hadn't realised what was going on and was still wrapped up in what had just happened. He talked to me about Tom, but I kind of zoned out. When I looked at my phone I saw I had another couple if messages from Alessandro.

The first one said, I've been thinking about you today.

I smiled, knowing that he had been thinking of me the way I had him. Maybe I wasn't crazy in thinking there was a connection between us.

The second message said, Not talking today?

I quickly started typing back.

I've been thinking about you too.

I knew I had made the right decision to not take things further with Danny. Now all I had to do was tell James.

Author's Note

Thanks for carrying on reading this story. I'd appreciate any votes and comments. Oh, and by the way, each chapter is named after a song. Bonus points if you can name the artist of each.