Chapter Thirty-Eight

18 months later

I sat on the train texting my boyfriend as I headed home. I’d completed my first term at university and was looking forward to seeing everyone again. I actually finished university last week, but stayed on an extra week to help Gladys with a few extra shifts.

I’d started working at the pub a couple of evenings a week for a bit of extra cash. But I enjoyed spending time with her too.

I’d taken the job not long after Alex quit. He'd been really grateful for the job as he'd struggled with his rent since losing his job at the cafe, but it was never what he wanted to do fulltime. He was finally able to get an internship that was more to do with his degree. He and Gladys had grown to become good friends during the time they worked together. She often told me how lovely Alex was and how it was a shame didn’t work out between us. I was worried that she might find out what really happened with him working there, but it was a risk I’d had to take. I was the one who lost him his last job, so it only seemed right.

Luckily I didn’t need to see him. He stopped working there the week after I moved to London. If we had met, it would have been fine. I didn’t hold anything against him. We were nothing more than a hook-up. I was the one who made it more than it was, just because I thought I knew him. He had thanked me by text message after he got the job. But I just kept thinking about how quick he'd been to get rid of me that day and it still hurt a little. But if anything I knew I should be grateful to him. He showed me exactly what I didn’t want. Maybe I wouldn’t be in the happy, committed relationship I was in now if he hadn’t been suck an asshole to me.

But Gladys did never find out about what had happened with Walter. Alex couldn’t tell her that part as he didn’t know. He'd talked about meeting me that day to her, but no other details. I certainly didn’t tell her either. I think Walter was afraid that I’d say something as Gladys as we spent so much time together at work, but I assured him that I’d keep my promise. It was all in the past and that’s where it would stay. I had to much of an exciting future to ever look back.

Gladys and Michael’s relationship had continued to grow. Whilst before she'd spent all her time working at the pub, she had started taking more time for herself to spend with him. Business was good, so at the same time she took me on, she also took on another fulltime member of staff; a girl called Jade. The two of us had become good friends. We ran things for Gladys when she was with Michael. She knew her beloved pub was in good hands. She was much happier now than I had ever seen her.

Over the Christmas holidays, Michael had closed the cafe for a few days so he could help her run the bar over. She would still be working, but they would be doing it together. Something that both of them seemed really excited about.

Walter and I continued to be friends as I got into my life in London. We went out for dinner every other week. We never talked about what happened between us. He was still going strong and working on his stall. I had about a dozen new pieces of jewellery that he'd made for me.

Things hadn’t really changed for him. I could tell that every time when we first saw each other that he could see Miles in me.

His sister had tried on a number of occasions to get him to go and live with her. I’d even spoken to her on the phone and what she said made sense. He wasn’t getting any younger and I agreed that he should be with his family. But he wouldn’t leave his home. He loved his life in Camden and wasn’t ready to give that up yet. He told me that if he retired, then he wouldn’t have ula use any more and it would be downhill from there. He didn’t want to be a burden. I tried to tell him he wouldn’t be. His sister and his niece really wanted him there. Maybe in a couple of years he would, but whilst he was still able to he wanted to keep on working.

I’ll be pulling into the station in ten minutes, I sent in a text as we pulled out of Chesterfield station.

He messaged me a second or two later.

Ok babe. Can’t wait 2 c u x

I smiled and felt warm inside. I send a text straight back.

You 2. Luv u xxx

I put my phone away, finished the last of my drink and waited for the train to pull in.

The platform was busy. It was the day before Christmas eve, so many others like me were returning home to their loved ones. I looked around for him. I was almost off the platform when I turned around to see him. He stood in front of me smiling.

‘Hey Ben,’ I said and gave him a big hug.