Chapter Thirty-Six

I stood out the front of the pub with Gladys and Ben. My bag was packed and on the ground by my feet.

‘I don’t know where he could have got to,’ Gladys said, ‘I told him what time you were leaving.’

‘It’s okay,’ I said, ‘he probably just got working and lost all track of time.’

‘I’ve sent him a dozen texts telling him to get here, but he hasn’t answered. I’m starting to get worried now. This isn’t like him at all.’

‘I’m sure he’s fine.’

I had kind of hoped that Walter would be here, but I totally understood if he wasn’t. We were the only two who knew what had really gone on and I could imagine how uncomfortable being here today might make him feel.

I told both Gladys and Ben that Alex was who he said he was in all except name. I told them that we’d met, but there wasn’t really any spark, so decided to just be friends. I could tell Gladys was disappointed; not only because she wanted it to work for me, but because she'd enjoyed all the detective work we'd done together over the last week. The fact that Alex was who he said he was, was a bit of an anti-climax for her.

‘I should be going soon,’ I said.

‘Just two more minutes,’ she said, ‘he'll be gutted to have missed you. I’ll give him a quick call to see where he is.’

‘I’m here,’ came a voice from behind us. I turned round to see Walter standing there, looking nervous.

‘There you are,’ said Gladys, ‘Ash was just about to leave.’

‘Well I’m here now,’ he said, looking at me anxiously.

‘I’m glad you came,’ I said. He looked immediately relieved.

‘I didn’t want you to leave without saying goodbye.’

We both smiled at each other.

‘It's been an honour getting to know you,’ Gladys said. She opened up her arms and gave me the biggest hug.

'Thank you for everything,’ I said.

‘You’re welcome,’ she said, ‘please make sure you come back.’

‘Oh, I will.’

‘Unless you fancied staying on and working in the bar?’ she joked.

‘I'm still a bit young ‘ I said, ‘anyway, I thought you were fully staffed?’

‘My barmaid quit on me,’ she said, ‘walked out and left me in the lurch. I’m going to really struggle until I find someone new.’

‘I think I might know someone who can start straight away,’ I said.

‘Really. That would be amazing. Who?’

‘Alex.’

I knew it would be quite awkward contacting him again after what happened between us, but Ben and I had lost him his job, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

‘okay. Give him my number. Tell him to give me a call.’

‘I will.’

I turned to Ben. ‘Say hi to my cousin for me,’ he said.

‘You should call him and say hello yourself,’ I said.

‘You’re right. I will.’

‘Thanks for all your support, ‘ I said.

‘It’s been my pleasure,’ he said. ‘I can’t believe you’re not going to be around. I’ve kind of got used to you being here.’

‘I know,’ I said, ‘I feel like I've known you forever.’

‘I'm sorry about what happened that day,’ he said, ‘you know...when I had that guy over.’

‘There’s nothing to apologise for,’ I said. He nodded and smiled. I could feel a hug coming between us, but as I leaned towards him, it seemed like he had other ideas. His lips came towards me and landed on mine. I wasn’t sure what kind of kiss he wanted it to be. Was it just a friendly peck?

Nope!

He opened his mouth as our lips met. It only lasted a few seconds, but it was definitely much more than just a kiss between mates. It felt really good. There was no denying that Ben was a really great looking guy, but nothing could really come between us. We lived in different cities, and I was just about to leave.

‘I'm sorry,’ he said, ‘I've been wanting to do that again since that day at mine.’

I smiled. ‘I’ll see you soon,’ I said.

‘You need me to take you to the station?’ he asked.

‘No, I can get there on my own,’ I said.

’I know you can,’ he said.

‘Come on in,’ said Gladys to Ben, ‘I’ll get you pint.’

‘Well I’ll never say no to that,’ said Ben.

‘Walter?’

‘It’s a bit early for me.’

‘Really?’

‘Oh who am I kidding. Why not!’

I said goodbye to them all one last time before they turned around and went inside together. It felt strange that I wasn't going in with them.

I knew that I had made three life long friends.

On the train home I sent a text to James, telling him I was on my way home. He replied a couple of minutes later.

I’m going in2 town later. I’ll meet u at station if u like?

I messaged back straight away.

Sure – that sounds amazing x

I was looking forward to seeing his face again. It felt like it had been ages. We'd never been away from each other this long before, since we first met in infant school.

It’s one thing to want to do things on your own, but it’s also nice knowing you don’t have to.