Chapter Thirteen

Ben stayed with me the whole way. I told him on a couple of occasions that I would be fine to make the last part of the journey on my own, as I didn't want to take him too far out of his way. But each time he just told me that he didn't mind and continued leading me there. 'James would kill me if I left you,' he said each time. It was nice that James had a family member he was so close to. I just found it odd that he had never mentioned Ben to me before.

We eventually made it above ground. It seemed so long ago since firdt meeting Ben. The light hit my eyes as we made it back outside, causing me to squint. He asked me the name of the pub I was staying at, and seemed to know where it was. He made a decisive turn down the street and I followed behind him.

I knew I liked Camden already. I'd hardly seen any of it, but there was a real vibe to it. I felt glad that this was the place I would be staying. Even if this hadn't been where Alex lived, it seemed like a good place to be. I looked around at the bars and shops and wondered if any if them were places that Alex hung out and shopped at. I really had no clue. It struck me as I looked at these alien places that I didn't get any kind of feel from them. Alex had hardly mentioned anywhere he went. All I had were a handful of places he'd mentioned randomly in his messages, including the pub I was staying at. I knew from a previous conversation that he'd drank in there several times in the past. It was why I chose the place; I wanted to be close to him.

When I thought about what I was doing, coming all this way to see him, I wondered if I was doing the right thing. I didn't want it to come across as stalker-like behaviour. But I was so desperate to see him. If I went at his pace, we'd have both retired before we eventually met. I was taking a chance on love. Of course it put me out there, leaving me open to get hurt. But I'd rather get hurt trying, than forever not know what might have been.

We seemed to be walking a while. I wasn't sure if he really knew where the pub was or if he was just too proud to check Google maps, in fear of looking like a tourist.

Ben didn't seem to have noticed that he had gotten a little bit ahead, and there were a number of people in-between me and him. I kept my eyes focused on him so as not to lose him. He turned around to speak to me and seemed to realise for the first time that I wasn't directly behind him. His eyes scanned the busy streets for a second before locating me again. He pointed to a building on the corner. I looked up to see it was the place I was going to call home for the next few days. He waited a few seconds for me to catch up, before saying, 'This is it.'

I smiled. A sense of relief fell over me knowing I had made it here in one piece. I'd probably still be wandering round the mass of underground tunnels had it not been for Ben.

'Well, my job is done,' he said.

'Are you going?' I asked. I knew he was only here to get me to my room, but I'd started to enjoy having him around.

'Unless there's anything else you need?'

'No,' I said. 'I just feel so guilty dragging you out all this way only to go straight back again. Can I get you a drink to say thank you?'

'That sounds good,' he said, 'but can we take a rain check for now? I said I'd meet some friends in town.'

'Sure,' I said, disappointed.

'Not that you'll probably have time. You'll probably meet Alex tomorrow and not leave his room for the whole week.'

I laughed. 'I doubt that.' It did sound like an appealing idea though.

'Listen, let me give you my number. If you get time, then that's be cool. If not, then don't worry. Just let me know '

I handed him my phone and he added his digits to my phone book. I promised that I would text him.