Chapter Twenty-Four

Author's note

So somehow I've published the chapters in the wrong order. I've you've read chapter twenty five and some things didn't make sense, then please read this to catch up. Sorry for ymthis oversight.

Knowing Alex was real gave me an immense feeling of relief. There was a chance I would meet him whilst I was in London, but even if I didn't, that just meant he needed more time. It wasn't ideal, but at least I had him back. I'd missed talking to him so much over the last few days. Even if our communication hadn't progressed further than messaging, it was surely better than nothing.

I felt more relaxed and didn't feel the need for a plan of action anymore. I could enjoy my time in London without worrying about my next move. But there were still loose ends I needed to tie up. Like why did that mysterious man keep standing outside my window? He'd been there again after I'd got back home from dinner with Walter. There was no point chasing after him again. I'd done that before and he'd run off before I could get down the stairs. So I kept the curtains closed and made sure my door was locked. He would have to get through the back door of the pub first anyway, so I knew I was safe.

The second question mark that still remained, was the owner of the cafe and the strange way in which he'd acted. There was a chance that Gladys had just been wrong and Alex didn't work there at all. But his reaction had told me there was something else going on. I trusted Alex (especially now he had messaged me back an explanation his situation) but I didn't this guy. There was something he was hiding, and I wanted to know what it was.

I had the whole day free, to do with what I wanted. But first I figured I'd pay a little visit to Oscar's to try and find more clues as to what his involvement might be.

He wasn't behind the counter when I walked in. Instead my order was taken by a much more friendly young blonde girl. I considered showing her the picture of Alex to verify if he did work there or not. But he'd already seen me at his gym. If his work colleague told him that I'd been asking about him, then it might scare him off even more than I already had. If he was here doing a shift, I could mark it down to being a coincidence. I was staying at a place just round the corner, so it wouldn't be too difficult to believe.

I ordered a full English and a latte. The girl scribbled my order on a pad and told me it should ten minutes or so. I thanked her and found a table in the corner. It had a Titanic theme, complete with signed photos of Leo and Kate. I hadn't noticed on my previous visit as we'd left too abruptly, but each table had the theme of a different movie. The table next to me was Jaws and ET on the one next to that. I sipped on my latte and tried to act inconspicuous as I looked around.

The kitchen door opened and there he was; the man I had spoken to the last time I came in. He started approaching me and I assumed he would try and throw me out again. But before he could get to me, the girl who'd taken my order overtook him with my breakfast and placed it down in front of me. I thanked her and the man walked past me. He couldn't chuck me out when I'd just paid for my breakfast. Not without good reason anyway.

He watched me suspiciously throughout. There was no sign of Alex and he wasn't giving me anymore clues, so I finished my breakfast and left.
I walked out into the street, excited about my day. Walter was right in what he'd said about me last night. I had grown in the time I'd been in London. I wasn't scared to go out and explore, as I had been when I first arrived. So I decided to go into London and see all the things I wanted to see. I got the tube to Piccadilly to see what was there.
I could do it on my own. I was confident enough to do so, but I didn't want to. Travelling was so much better when you had someone you loved to share it with. So as soon as I got out of the station and got signal back, I video called James.

'Hi Ash,' he said as he answered. He was in his bedroom.

'What are you up to?' I asked him.

'Oh nothing,' he said.

'Fancy a day out?'

'You're back already?' His whole face lit up.

'Not yet,' I said. I panned the camera round to show him where I was. 'I'm off to be a tourist. Fancy joining me?'

'Sure,' he said. 'Where are you taking me?'

I took him all over London. We went to Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus and past the tower of London. I took him for a walk along the Thames and had lunch together; me at a little cafe, James eating a sandwich at his kitchen table. I ordered a cocktail; he made a cup of tea.

After lunch I took him back to Camden, stopping only when we went underground and lost signal. I showed him around what had been my home for the last week, ending the tour as I walked back into the bar. I introduced him to Gladys. 'I've heard so much about you, James,' she said. 'It's so good to finally meet you.'

'Likewise,' he said, then I took him back up to my room. I had enjoyed my day of being tour guide. My arm was aching from holding my phone up all day, but it had been worth it. I'd loved sharing the city with him

'We'll come together one day soon,' I promised him. As much as I knew I had to make this journey on my own, I did miss having him around. We'd always done everything together; ever since we were kids. Doing something as big as this without James was s huge step for me to take. Next time I wanted us to do it with my best mate, especially now I had these new friends. I wanted him to know them. Obviously he already knew Ben; they were family. But Gladys and Walter had become such a huge part of my life, in such a short time.

'That sounds amazing,' he said. 'I can't wait.'

'We'll sort something out when I get back.'

'When are you home?'

'Sunday.'

'Ok cool. What you doing tonight?'

'I'm going out for drinks with Ben.'

'Oh right.' He looked really sad. 'So you two have really hit it off then?'

'Yeah, he's been a really good friend.'

I sensed a little jealousy, so I added, 'not as good as you though. You know you're my best friend, right?

He laughed.

'You're such a dork.'

'Yeah, well it takes one to know one.'

We both laughed, then fell silent for the first time all day. 'Ash,' he said.

'Yeah.'

'Thanks for today. I've had a great time.'

'Me too.'

'Have a great time with my cousin tonight.'