Chapter Twenty

Half an hour goes by. I finished my drink and still had heard nothing. He hadn't even read it. I decided I wasn't going to let it bother me. Instead, I was going to take in the sights of Camden.

I'd been here a couple of days now and I hadn't seen much my temporary home. So I wandered aimlessly around the shops. But what I wanted to see most were the markets. They were kind of a big deal here. Plus I wanted to see my new friend Walter at work. I had no idea where his stall was, so I notched around, looking at all the beautiful things on sale at the other stalls. I had to remind myself that I was on a limited budget, otherwise I would have spent a fortune on things I didn't really need.

After looking around for just short of an hour, I spotted him a few stalls away; Walter. He was dressed in a full length green dress that went all the way down to his sandles. His hair was tied back in a ponytail, revealing big golden hoop earrings. He was talking to a customer, bagging a sale up and handing over her change. He looked up over her shoulder and saw me. He smiled and held his hand up in a wave. I waved back.

'Hey,' I said, as I arrived at his stall.

'Hey Ash,' he said. 'Welcome to my little corner of the world.'

My eyes scanned across his merchandise. It was all really beautiful stuff. It was hard to believe that he had made it all. I wasn't sure exactly what I'd been expected, but he was obviously a really talented jewellery maker; an artist, no less. I was still wearing the friendship bracelet he gave me the day we first met.

'You've got some great stuff here,' I told him.

'Thanks,' he said.

'You made all this?'

'I did.'

'It must have taken you hours.'

'I make it at home in the evenings. I try to replenish what I sell each day.'

'When you're not drinking wine with Gladys?'

He laughed. 'Yeah, they're not my most productive of days. But sometimes she comes over to my place and helps me. You should come over one evening and I'll show you.'

'That would be great,' I said. I was genuinely interested in seeing how he made it.

'So I've got some news,' I said.

'Oh?' he replied. 'Does this involve a certain sexy Spaniard?'
'It does.'

'Go on.'

'I saw him today.'

He looked at me, shocked. 'Really?' he said. 'You met him?'

'Almost. We went to the gym and I saw him. I didn't get a good look, but I was sure it was him.'

His face lit up. 'Ash, that's fantastic news,' he said. 'So what's the next move? Are you going to go back?'

'I don't think I'd get away with another tour of the gym,' I said. 'I'd have to join up. No, I decided to try something different.'

'Oh?'

'I've messaged him again.'

'Has he replied?'

'Not yet. But it's kind of my last shot. If he replies, then great. If he doesn't...'

'Then it's his loss.'

I smiled. I really needed the compliment right now.

'Thanks,' I said.

'So what's your plan for the rest of the day. Got any plans?'

'Not really,' I said. 'I'll probably just spend the rest of the day bumming around Camden.'

'And this evening?'