Chapter 4 - Lenny

"Are you sure we can just waltz in here?" I ask Aria as I follow her into Fighter's Den gym.

"Duh." She holds the door open for me and I thank her, stepping inside. "We're family."

"Maybe you are but I don't know about me."

"You definitely are. You'll see for yourself when we meet the girls. They're...passionate."

I snicker at that, remembering how kind they'd been to be the first time I met them. According to Aria they also have a habit of meddling in your life so she warned me that they're going to snatch me up too. Good thing I'm the queen of evasion.

As soon as we walk inside my nose crinkles at the smell. I shouldn't be surprised considering how many people there are here, adults and youth both, all boxing like their life depends on it. Boxing is one of my favourite sports. Nothing satisfies me more than seeing grown men kick each other's asses because the truth is, grown men deserve ass-kicking.

"I didn't know this place had kiddies." I tell Aria, watching the little ones spar with each other.

"Since two years ago." She clarifies. "Jaxon coaches the youth so Greg can focus on the rest of the guys."

"And who focuses on Jaxon?"

"He stopped going pro to be with his family and he prefers coaching anyways. He has a good eye for that kind of stuff."

I consider that as I watch him instruct one of the boys firmly. He's an intense guy and from what I've heard, has had one hell of a life. It could give mine a run for my money.

I pull my eyes away from the stoic and gorgeous man with green eyes that I can see from all the way across the room and my eyes scope out the rest of the fighters. Asher and Nate, Aria's gorgeous twin brother, are sparring in the ring. I like Nate. He's sweet as hell and he has the kind of unapologetic swagger that makes you want to be his friend. Ash is...ugh. The thief of my best friend, that's what. Little fuck.

Then there's Cameron, the pretty boy of the group with stormy grey eyes and the kind of face that's meant to be plastered on billboards. The guy is a total legend. I've never met anyone as funny as he is. He's like a twenty-four seven stand up show. I've never heard anything come out of his mouth that wasn't entertaining as hell or sent me into a fit of laughter. That's why it's so hard to believe the horrors he's been through in the past. I don't know the entire story but the bits and pieces I put together are horrible enough.

It makes me wonder how the hell these people are incredible as they are. All of them have had such tough lives, pain that's not so different from my own, and yet they remain trusting and loving people. How? How did they stop their demons from consuming them, from being so wary of the world to the point that every living person is an enemy until proven innocent? How did they not become bitter and hateful like I have? I guess I'm not as strong as them because I couldn't stop my heart from hardening. It's hard as stone these days and as long as it keeps me from getting hurt, that's just fucking fine with me.

Without meaning to, I start looking for Wolfe until I spy him off to the side going at a punching bag. My mouth dries up because Jesus, I could watch him do that for the days. The way he's absolutely dominating, throwing the kind of punches that could crack a person in half? He's a force to be reckoned with and it takes major effort on my part to pull it together. If I don't I'll just look like a dumbass drooling over him, getting caught up on the way his muscles tighten with exertion, the way his shirtless body gleams.

Aria heads off the to the main ring where Asher and Nate are sparring so I take a little detour of my own, heading over to the big guy. After our first appointment I've been curious as fuck about him. If he can make that good of a second impression then exactly how wrong about him was I?