Chapter 9 - Lenny

I slam my drink back in one go and Charlie eyes me warily. "Should I be concerned?"

"No." I snort. "When have I ever given you a reason to be concerned about me?"

"Let me think. How about every single time you've beaten up my customers?"

"You have shit customers. Don't blame me."

"What am I going to do with you?" He shakes his head and I smirk a little.

When I feel his eyes studying me closely, I narrow my eyes right back. "What?"

"There's something different about you." He tilts his head.

"Nah. I'm always this gorgeous, fuck you very much. Pour me another, will you?"

"No, really." He insists, pouring me my second drink of the day. "It's like...I don't know. You always walk around with this heaviness on your shoulders but it's not there today. What'd I miss?"

"Nothing." I mutter, feeling way too self-conscious at his observation. Mostly because he's kind of right.

After my breakdown earlier this week, I can't help but notice how much lighter I feel. There was always a weight crushing down on my chest that made it so hard to breathe and it's no wonder I always felt like I was suffocating. I'm not saying I have sunshines and rainbows coming out of my ass now or that my problems have magically been solved but life feels a little more bearable. I guess I owe it to the big guy for holding me down when I lost it.

Once Wolfe got past his initial shock after I practically jumped on him, he held me tightly until I was all cried out and completely drained. I've never had anyone hold me that way before, the protective way he crushed me to him and the gentle stroke of his hand as it sifted through my hair. He just felt so fucking safe and dependable and everything I needed in that moment. I'm sure I looked like a bat-shit crazy mess sobbing all over him but he didn't once complain.

After I was all cried out, I awkwardly crawled out of his lap and grabbed us some coffee. We spent the next couple of hours drawing and sharing music playlists and going over more ASL before we called it a night. He didn't make me feel stupid or weak for breaking down and he didn't treat me any different either. He was completely normal and I wanted to choke him because he's so annoyingly perfect. One fucking flaw. Is it too much to ask for? Then maybe I wouldn't have all these equally annoying feelings for him. I guess it's a good thing that I'm an expert at pretend because I doubt the big guy suspects anything. If he did, this friendship wouldn't exist and I hate to admit it but that would wreck me.

"Are you daydreaming?" Charlie gets in my face. "Who are you?"

My nostrils flare in irritation. "Keep talking and I'll rip your eyeballs out and shove them so far down your throat, you'll be able to see your organs shift when I knee you in the balls."

"She's back." He deadpans, putting his arms up in surrender and moving down the bar to another customer.

I frown deeply, drumming my fingers against the bar top. I was not daydreaming. Fuck Charlie and his overactive imagination. I'm not the kind of girl that acts like a total ditz over men or spends her free time thinking about them. Men have always been my enemy and I've never had a problem keeping them at arms length before, especially when it comes to involving my heart. I learned my lesson a long time ago.

"Jesus, when did I become so uptight?" I mutter, yanking off my jacket. I take down the rest of my drink and smack a hand on the bar top to get Charlie's attention. "Put on something good. I've got to let loose."

"You'll be the only one dancing." He raises his brows but he's already going through his phone. "You'll look crazy."

"Lucky for me, I don't give a fuck." I smirk back and gesture for him to give me the bottle in his hand. He rolls his eyes but gives it to me and I saunter over to the middle of the bar.