Chapter 20 - Melanie

It's been a quiet couple of days. I thought I was used to Wolfe's silence but I never realized how much it actually hurts when he uses it to shut me out. I don't know what the hell is up with him lately but this isn't the Wolfe I know. I'm sure of it.

I won't lie — I always suspected he was hiding something from the minute I moved in. He would spend hours in his room working at his job that I knew absolutely nothing about. He'd occasionally run out for "errands" only to come home empty handed and in a pissy mood. I've even seen his phone light up with messages from a mysterious "D" who's always asking Wolfe to do whack-ass things I can never decode. It makes me wonder what the hell a supposed software engineer is doing that seems so shady. I can't be certain because I've only been living with him for a month but I think lately this job has been getting more and more demanding with him. He just doesn't seem like Wolfe and it sucks.

He came home the day of our argument and I expected him to come knocking on my door because that's the kind of person he is. Instead, all I heard was his door closing shut and I didn't hear from him all night. The next morning at breakfast he looked like he didn't catch a wink of sleep and avoided looking at me altogether. I didn't know what to say because I was still upset him from the previous night but that didn't mean I wasn't worried about the crash in his mood. I didn't see him all day until at dinner where he grabbed a plate for himself, thanked me quietly, and softly brushed past me and into his room again. I didn't see him at breakfast this morning either because he was already out of the house when he woke up. Now it's mid-afternoon and I don't know where the hell he is or what he's up to and now all my earlier anger is long gone, instead replaced with worry because something bad is definitely up.

"Fuck this," I curse under my breath and abruptly shut my sketch pad when I zone back in. My brain is drawing blank after blank and I can't come up with any designs for the life of me. I'm too distracted. I abandon it altogether on the couch and head out of the break room, making my way to my office before my next client gets here. I didn't even bother reading them up, just committed the time slot to memory. That's why I don't expect them to already be sitting on my recliner when I step inside.

And I definitely don't expect Asher.

My steps slow down and I blink at him in surprise. We've got a good thing going as friends but he hardly pops up like this. I'm confused as fuck seeing him here leaned back with his hands behind his head, that arrogant and lazy smirk in place.

"Hey, loser," I greet lightly and shut the door behind me.

"She-devil," His smirk kicks up a notch and he sits up. His hair is wet and curly so I'm going to guess he grabbed a shower at the gym and came here. "How's it going?"

"Fine," I eye him suspiciously and lean against my desk, crossing my arms. I tip my chin in his direction and ask in a bored voice, "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Is it a federal crime to visit you?" He throws back. My brow raises and his facade immediately cracks. He chuckles and drops the act because Asher is as allergic to bullshit as I am. "You're right. I'm here for something."

"You could have called me or met me for lunch like a sane person."

"Have you ever known me to be sane?"

"Valid point," I smile reluctantly. "What's up?"

"Noticed you change your name to Melanie on the studio website for bookings," He observes, his glass eyes seeing right through me. I scowl back at the unexpected remark and how it makes heat creep up my neck.

"So? What's it to you?"

"Just curious," He shrugs.

My mouth pinches at the corner in irritation as I debate if I should humour him. Part of me wants to shut him down because that's just what I do but then I remember how much problems this has caused Wolfe and I and how I'm so, so done with being an unapproachable and distrusting person. It's so fucking exhausting constantly being on guard and nothing good comes out of it. Nothing.