Chapter 24 - Wolfe

My brain is awake before I am, registering the light reflecting on my closed lids and the coldness of the room. Goosebumps break out on my arms and my eyes blink open. I slowly come to and look around the room. I'm the only one in here and it looks like it's close to noon which takes me by surprise. I never sleep in this late. I can never shut off for long enough but last night I slept without a wink of paranoia. I stretch my arms above my head and feel my muscles pulling from their relaxed state. Damn. When's the last time I slept this good? Probably never.

Once I'm done washing my face and brushing my teeth, I walk across the hall to Melanie's room. I take a peek inside since it's already open and find everything unpacked and back in its place. Her bed is also messy like she slept in it. I didn't wake up in the middle of the night but she must have left at some point to sleep in her room instead. I smile softly and head over to the kitchen next where Melanie is sitting on one of the island stools and looking out the window.

"Hey," My voice sounds deeper and huskier than normal from having just woken up. She looks over her shoulder, mouth quirking when she sees me. "What time is it?"

"Eleven-thirty," She answers and my brows go up. This is definitely the latest I've slept in my whole life. She sees the surprise on my face, laughing. "Yeah. You were knocked out cold."

"Sleep was nice," I shrug. I turn her stool around to face me and cup her face, tilting it up as mine descends to meet her lips. I don't think I'll ever get tired of kissing her. It does something to me — like every wayward piece in my chest clicks into place the second our lips touch. She's satisfying, addicting, and fucking mine.

She moans into my mouth when my tongue meets hers, her hands going to my bare torso and fingers digging into my skin. I swear I get weak in the fucking knees when she touches me. I've learned all these new ways to explore her and I can't enough. I love tasting every inch of her skin, love roaming my hands over and inside of her, and I know there's still more for us to do. She's going to turn me into a goddamn animal at this rate.

She catches my bottom lip between her teeth and drags it out slowly as she pulls away. I stare down at her lips, swollen and bright red, breathing hard. "Did you go back to your room at night?"

Her eyes skirt away from mine. "Yeah. Sorry. I woke up in the middle of the night and as nice it was sleeping next to you I just...needed space."

"Hey," I catch her chin between my index finger and thumb, turning her face back to me. "Don't apologize. I was just asking to make sure you were okay. I hope I didn't freak you out."

"Not at all," She says softly. Her hands travel up my abdomen, my chest, and I suck in a breath as my body heats all over. She loops her arms around my neck in a hug and I bend down, my arms going around her waist and holding her to me. She speaks quietly into my ear while I rock her. "I'll get better at it. Sleeping next to you."

"You're being too hard on yourself," I point out. "Did you ever push me to talk? Did you expect me to get it right away after I spoke my first word?"

"No, of course not."

"So why is this any different? I won't push you either, Mel, or expect you to get it right away. I told you I won't get offended if you can't make it through the night with me and I meant that. I'd rather you sleep next to me when you feel safe, not when you feel forced. I'd never force you for anything."

Her arms tighten around me and when she speaks into my shoulder, her voice sounds thick with emotion. "I know you wouldn't."

"Good," I kiss her cheek and then grab one of her hands, bringing it to my mouth so I can kiss the inside of her palm. Her eyes dance with amusement in return. "Did you already have breakfast?"